Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ernest Jameson.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Oct 2013 17:22

I wonder if anyone can point my friend in the right direction....
Her Gt grandfather was Ernest Jameson....she has a marriage cert to a Minnie Ware Dec 1917 at Hatcham....He remarries again to Selina Bailey...
Ernest was killed during the blitz along with two daughters, my friend received this morning his death cert not a lot of help to find his birth that is needed .. all cert says is body found....name sex age, cause of death...due to war operations.. no informants.

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here... brickwall.
Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Oct 2013 17:25

How old was he at death?

EDIT

Is this his death?

Deaths Dec 1940 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jameson Ernest 55 Deptford 1d 1468

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Oct 2013 17:28

Name:Ernest Jameson
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1877
Spouse Name:Minnie Ware
Spouse Age:27
Record Type:Marriage
Event Date:26 Dec 1917
Parish:Hatcham St James
Borough:Lewisham
Father Name:Jack Jameson
Spouse Father Name:Thomas Ware
Register Type:Parish Register

Andy

Gee

Gee Report 15 Oct 2013 17:32

JAMESON, ERNEST
Rank:CivilianDate of Death:08/11/1940Age:55Regiment/Service:Civilian War Dead Reporting AuthorityDEPTFORD, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH
Additional Information:

at 8 Brindley Street.

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Oct 2013 17:40

Same address on marriage and death, but ages differ somewhat!

Andy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Oct 2013 17:51

The 2 daughters also:

JAMESON, MARGARET ELLEN Civilian 08/11/1940 17 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom DEPTFORD, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH
JAMESON, PAMELA Civilian 08/11/1940 6 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom DEPTFORD, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH
JAMESON, ERNEST Civilian 08/11/1940 55 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom DEPTFORD, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Oct 2013 17:58

The 2 daughters had different mothers:

First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1923 (>99%)

Jameson Margaret E Ware Greenwich 1d 1586

Births Sep 1934 (>99%)

Jameson Pamela Bailey Greenwich 1d 1033

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Oct 2013 18:30

Hi Thankuyou all for your replies.

Andy on death cert it has 55 and yes that is the marriage cert she has,and yes she is a little confused with different ages on marriage and death certs..
We have found the marriage of Ernest to Selina Bailey, but when she ordered it form the registery office they came back and said there was no marriage!!! really confusing..

With all that info where do you start to look for birth?? She was hoping the death cert might have had his birth place..

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Oct 2013 18:38

Second marriage, which shows she must have used middle name. Also accounts for different mothers for the children

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Dec 1931 (>99%)

Bailey Caroline S Jameson Greenwich 1d 1880
Jameson Ernest Bailey Greenwich 1d 1880

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Oct 2013 18:43

Another daughter

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Dec 1919 (>99%)

Jameson Kathleen M Ware Greenwich 1d 1890

Andy

Andy

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 15 Oct 2013 19:36

Probate for Ernest Jameson PM'd to Patricia

Lesley x

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Oct 2013 20:06

Hi Lesley.
Thankyou....Kathleen May is my friends nan.. .

Andy..my friend asked for that marriage cert, but someone from Greenwich office phoned her to say there was no such marriage....very strange ..I feel she should phone them again...
We can only find one Ernest Jameson birth Northumbleland..

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 16 Oct 2013 01:03

This maybe nothing but just going to fig about with it,

Name: Samuel Jameson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relationship to Head: Head
Spouse: Emily Jameson
Where born: Westminster, Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: St Giles in the Fields
County/Island: London
Street Address: 15 12 Drury Lane
Marital Status: Married
Education:

Employment status:

View Image
Registration District: St Giles
Sub-registration District: St Giles, South
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 323
Folio: 15
Page Number: 26
Household Members:
Name Age
Samuel Jameson 44
Emily Jameson 40
Henry Jameson 20
John V. Jameson 17
Fredk. Jameson 14
Emily Jameson 12
Ellen Jameson 11
May Jameson 12 months <<<<<< This lady is of interest.

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Oct 2013 07:27

Morning BMdaughter

On his marriage to Marth it is stated his fathers name as Jack deceased, also a witness was May Jameson..

Thankyou will pass this on to her....it looks promising.....

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Oct 2013 08:29

Patricia, I wonder if your friend might have better luck trying to order the 1931 marriage certificate direct from General Register Office (GRO)
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

When placing the order make sure the box asking if GRO reference is known is ticked

This version of the marriage record clearly shows the format of the fields required on the order form.

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: Ernest Jameson
Spouse : Caroline S Bailey
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1931
Registration District: Greenwich
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 1880

When I've had similar problems in the past I've omitted the brides name and just ordered using the grooms name.

Patricia

Patricia Report 17 Oct 2013 11:16

hi,
im patricia's friend re searching my great great grandad ernest jameson.
i just want to start by saying thank you to all of you that have helped with replies.
im currently stuck on trying to work out Ernests date of birth, the reason im having difficulties in working this info out is because ernests marriage to minnie states he is 40 (marriage 1917) on the day of marriage, but 23 years later on his death certificate (1940 dept ford) he is stated 55. both certificates are definitely correct as they both state the address 8 Brindley street lewisham. my nan( kathleen may jameson) at the time of the bomb blast wasnt home, and therefore survived the explosion. kathleen was 19 at the time of the death. i was expecting to see kathleens name as in formant on death certificate or a member of family, but it actually ernest field deputy town clerk listed as informant?
I've again this morning phoned greenwich with the marriage to caroline details, and again they say there is no record of the marriage even thou i have an index listing. they say this could be because the record was destroyed in the war.

i really don't know what to do next or where to go next. i have no clue to his date of birth because of the conflicting dates.

if anyone should have any more ideas that i could try , i would soooooooo appreciate it.
thankyou
karen

:-D :-

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Oct 2013 13:59

Hi Karen, it's our pleasure to try to help.

Regarding his death, given the circumstances under which it occured then I wouldn't be at all surprised that some sort of "official" was the informant. Bear in mind that the age on a death certificate is only as good as the informant's knowledge - again, given the circumstances, they may have guessed. (I made a mistake when registering my own father's death and now the record makes it look like he was older than he actually was.)

See my post above about ordering the certificate online from GRO, you may have more success with them.