Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Chetwynd-Stuart 1895 to 1972

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alex

Alex Report 13 Oct 2013 20:26

Born Axminster Somerset 1895. Died possibly in Southampton 1972. Charles Chetwynd-Stuart. Are there any living relatives known, I have tried a search and the only other person who has him is on my tree in any case.

Catherine

Catherine Report 13 Oct 2013 20:31

Someone on ancestry has him:-

Birth: 19 Jan 1895 - Somerset, England
Marriage: 9 Nov 1917 - Lyndhurst
Death: 23 May 1972 - Southampton
Parents: Charles Stuart, Alice Susannah (Mother)
Spouse: Violet Theresa Stanley

Catherine

Catherine Report 13 Oct 2013 20:33

.......;which would mean that this is him:-

1901 England Census about Charles C Stuart
Name: Charles C Stuart
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Charles Stuart
Mother's Name: Alice S Stuart
Where born: Up Hill, Somerset, England
Civil Parish: Netley Marsh
Ecclesiastical parish: Netley St Matthew
Town: Netley Marsh
County/Island: Hampshire
Street Address:
Registration District: New Forest
Sub-registration District: Eling
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Schedule Number: 103
Piece: 1052
Folio: 141
Page Number: 17
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Stuart 34
Alice S Stuart 38
Harold Stuart 7
Charles C Stuart 6
Juliet M Stuart 4
William H Sharpe 29
Evelyn B Sharpe 30

Catherine

Catherine Report 13 Oct 2013 20:34

You need to change your heading as you have mistyped the date 1895 not 1985 :-)

Are you looking for info, or just contacts?

Catherine

Catherine Report 13 Oct 2013 20:40

Just realised that the tree on ancestry looks to be yours :-S

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Oct 2013 21:53

Hello Alex, welcome to the boards.

What is it you're trying to find out about Charles?

Alex

Alex Report 13 Oct 2013 22:13

Oops trust me to get the date wrong. Now been sorted.

I'm trying to ascertain is when he was divorced from Violet Theresa Stanley (Henchcliffe) He is credited as being my maternal grandfather, but there are some discrepancies. I have a feeling he was off the scene beforehand.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Oct 2013 22:47

Nothing coming up on National Archives divorce records, but they only go to 1937.

His service records on National Archives have his dob as 19 January 1894
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/D7254796?descriptiontype=Full&ref=ADM+339/1/36964

This says 01 July 1894
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7788829

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Oct 2013 22:50

For some strange reason, Merchant Seaman records alway seem to make the men 1 or 2 years older than they were:

Merchant Navy Seamen 1835-1941

Last name: STUART
First names: Chas Chetwynd
Month of birth: January
Year of birth: 1892
Place of birth: Weston Super Mare
County/country of birth: Somersetshire
Card type: CR10
Discharge number: 691052
Identity certificate no.: 415337
Series: BT350
Date range: 1918-1921

There's a photo on the record which I'll send if you want.

(I know it's not addressing the divorce but may be interesting if you don't already have it).

Alex

Alex Report 13 Oct 2013 23:28

You have both been very good. Certainly confirms we have the same guy.

I have him as a possible Maternal grandfather and my mother was born 1925. There are one or two things that suggest might not be the case, and of course if there was a divorce, no reason why it couldn't have happened long after her conception and birth.

I did trawl the National Archive record myself, and found nothing, but he did remarry in and around 1947, and Violet Stanley was still alive at the time. I assume therefore they may have divorced near that time to allow him to cement his relationship in 1947.

I think the answer will lie with someone out there who comes up as a result of that marriage, but I'm getting nowhere.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2013 09:52

Presumably, no father was named on your mother's birth cert..............who was her mother?

Alex

Alex Report 14 Oct 2013 11:21

Reggie.

You are right, no father on my Mother's birth certificate which tells me a lot; yet on her marriage certificate in 1949 he was listed as Charles C Stuart Deceased, but he actually died in 1972. Her mother was Violet Theresa Henchcliffe, formerly Stanley. I have her family details going back another 3 generations. Violet's father was the founder of Coventry City FC (Willy Stanley)

My mother died aged 36 in 1961 when I was 11 & I was brought up by my fathers family & they wouldn't tell me anything about my maternal side despite me asking.

When I was young probably aged 8 or 9 (before she died) I asked both parents about grandparents on Mothers side, and was told they were both dead, so it came as shock to me to discover a couple of years ago Charles C Stuart was still around until 1972.

From the confusion on the paperwork I suspect although he may have been the legal spouse of Violet, he may not have been my Mother's father, but was added to her marriage certificate for "image" purposes. Meaning "new bride, best make it look good and give her some legitimacy"

One thing I have worked out and that is Violet was a bit of a lass in her time. We know of 3 children, and there are stories of possibly two others one of whom may have been abducted. There were 3 accredited men in her life and another who has been suggested.

I guess my best course of action is to try & find out about any divorce as he did re-marry and perhaps there will be another named person cited as co-respondent being grounds for divorce.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2013 15:20

As there was no father named on the birth cert, you are unlikely ever to know his identity........no matter what info you find out about Charles.

The survival rate of divorce case files is:
1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937 : less than 0.2%

Marriages Dec 1917 (>99%)
Henchcliffe Violet T Stuart N. Forest 2b 1816
Stuart Charles C Henchcliffe N.Forest 2b 1816

Where was the alleged re-marriage for Charles?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2013 15:23

Death

Name: STUART, Charles Chetwynd
Registration district: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Year of registration: 1972
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Date of Birth:19 January 1895
Volume no: 6B
Page no: 1764

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2013 15:28

Marriages Dec 1941 (>99%)

Hill Thomas F Stuart Southampton 2c 167
Stuart Violet T Hill Southampton 2c 167

As Violet was married to Stuart when your mother was born, it is clear that Stuart was NOT her father.....................the fact that the father was not named makes that certain.

When a married woman has a child and registers its birth, the assumption is always that her husband fathered him/her, unless the woman states otherwise.

Alex

Alex Report 14 Oct 2013 17:35

Reggie.

Thanks thus far, you are very thorough. I happen to have all certificates for Charles, and can confirm every detail you have provided is indeed correct.

I agree with your point that he most likely was not the Father of my Mother, which is reinforced by the no mention being made of him at all by my family. Also My Father would not let me have any certificates for my mother until after his death, no doubt because of me questioning the legitimacy. So I'm under no illusions.

Violet re-married in 1941 to Thomas Hill, and subsequently Charles married someone called Daisy Nellie ???? No previous/maiden name as I got these off his death certificate.

It was a long shot posting this thread, but as I said, someone may have known about the divorce, but as you say an almost impossible task. If there was a living relative, perhaps it was passed down through his family what a "tart" Violet was, and perhaps a name of someone like a lodger might have come to light.

Shame really as out of four Grandparents I have a lot of information on three, but it looks like one quarter may remain blank.