Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Caroline Norman Died 19/1/1867 Mint St Workhouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 13 Oct 2013 02:12

Does anyone have records of Workhouse Admittance? My Aunt dies at Mint Street Workhouse, London in 1867. Am trying to find out when she was admitted and why.
She is Caroline Norman DOB 17/06/1845, and died in the Workhouse on the 19/01/1867.
Thanks terry.

Susan

Susan Report 13 Oct 2013 07:18

Her Death cert should give you some usefull information to help

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837-1915
about Caroline Norman Name: Caroline Norman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1846
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1867
Age at Death: 21
Registration District: St George Southwark
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1d
Page: 112

Susan

Susan Report 13 Oct 2013 07:25

Have you considered this family

Sarah ( Mother) is a Widow in the image,there are lots of reasons for being in the workhouse back then.

1851 England Census
about Caroline Norman Name: Caroline Norman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Sarah Norman

Civil Parish: Hornsey
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration District: Edmonton
Sub-registration District: Hornsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Schedule Number: 183
Piece: 1702
Folio: 25
Page Number: 42
Household Members: Name Age
Sarah Norman 42 ...Widow
Caroline Norman 6
Robert Norman 4
Henry Norman 2

You may also find this site usefull

www.cityoflondon.gov.uk

Terence

Terence Report 13 Oct 2013 08:34

Thankyou Susan for your suggestions. I have her death certificate which only gives cause of death. No other clues. She was born 1845, (westminster) and is daughter of William Norman. I know her mother Mary Grove Jessup died in 1850, and she was with her father vide the 1851 census, but cant find her in the 1861 census. I thought that if I can get access to her admission records into the workhouse, would know where she was for that period until her death.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Oct 2013 08:45

The records may be at the LMA

There is a good account of the workhouse here

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Southwark/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Oct 2013 08:50

They are at the LMA..

Records
London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (Some LMA records viewable online via Ancestry)
Guardians' minutes (1835-71)
Mint Street Workhouse: Admissions and discharges (1852-1910); Births (1835-1911); Deaths (1835-1920); Creed registers (1870-1920).
Mitcham School: Register of children sent to Mitcham School and South Metropolitan School District (1856-November 1870, missing July 1860-August 1862); Register of children sent to Mitcham School and South Metropolitan School District (March 1867-June 1872); etc. [n.b. LMA files first series of registers under St George the Martyr, and second set under "Southwark Board of Guardians" — no such body actually existed until 1901. Later records are listed under Holborn.]

She isn't showing in the workhouse records on Ancestry

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Oct 2013 11:39

Bear in mind that she may not have been an inmate of the workhouse as such. Workhouse infirmaries also provided hospital care for non inmates.

Terence

Terence Report 13 Oct 2013 12:55

Good point Marie, but if she was provided with hospital care (and not an inmate) wouldn't there still be some record of her admittance?

Flip

Flip Report 13 Oct 2013 13:13

Does the cause of death give any further ideas as to why she was there?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Oct 2013 13:21

Terence, the hospitals were often separate buildings from the workhouse itself so doubt that patients would always be included on the workhouse admissions register.