Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas ANDERSON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 08:11

I have been searching for birth record for Thomas ANDERSON for a number of years. I believe he was born in Loch Aber in Scotland in 1836. His parents were Thomas Anderson and Ann Homes (or a similar surname). I believe that he had at least one brother called George. The family moved to Fermanagh, Ireland in about 1841. The only record I have managed to find is a marriage record for Thomas Anderson and Ann Homes. Thomas emigrated to Australia as a young man and died there. If anyone is also researching this person and can help, I would be grateful. Maxene :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Oct 2013 08:51

Birth records for Scotland are on Scotlands People however civil registation didn't start there till 1855 so you won't find a birth record for him.

You may find a baptism though on the site ,and you can try Family Search site too

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Oct 2013 09:08

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

https://familysearch.org/

For links on GR............look in 'search all trees' - under the 'search' button

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 09:26

Thank you Shirley and Reggie. I know Scotlandspeople will not be of help. I did try family search but no luck - or none that I could find, anyway. I will keep looking. :-(

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Oct 2013 09:31

Have you actually looked at SP?

They do hold records pre-civil registration...............

Gee

Gee Report 12 Oct 2013 09:32

Hi

A tree on Ancestry has this:

Birth: 1836 - Fermanagh, Ireland (Northern Ireland)
Marriage: 17 Aug 1865 - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 24 May 1906 - Robertson, NSW (New South Wales), Australia
Parents: Thomas Anderson, Ann Home
Spouse: Jane McBarron

Edit: It looks like your tree but you say in your opening post that he was born in Scotland?

Gee

Gee Report 12 Oct 2013 09:59

Action Cost Source Surname First Name Year County
Church Baptism Anderson Thomas 1838 Co. Fermanagh

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/quis.php?page=0&prevStartQuery=0

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 10:14

Gins...this is amazing! I am wondering if he was born in Scotland and baptised in Fermanagh?? I have tried to find records in both Scotland and Ireland for so many years... Can I buy this record, do you know?
And Reggie - yes, I have looked at SP numerous times. I keep hoping that I find something that I missed previously.
Editor: I am not sure if you are looking at my tree but I have always had birth of Thomas in Loch Aber - unless I have put something in the tree when I am having a seniors' moment....entirely possible!!! :-D

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 10:17

Actually, Edit...I just checked my tree. I have his birth as Loch Aber, but spelt it differently.

Gee

Gee Report 12 Oct 2013 11:04

Hi

You can view the record online but you have to buy credits. Use the link I posted earlier

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Oct 2013 17:54

Lochaber is an area of the west of Scotland, not a loch. (I live there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochaber

But that doesn't alter the fact that SP doesn't show any records for a Thomas Anderson, with those particular parents, born/baptised anywhere in Lochaber (ie - southern Inverness-shire, and northern part of Argyll) 1830-1840.

Also no record on SP of his parents' marriage in the Lochaber area, 1800 - 40.

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 21:48

Hi ArgyllGran,

I found a record of marriage between Thomas Anderson and Ann Home Cheeklaw, daughter of Peter Home for March 3, 1816. It was not in Lochaber but was in Scotland. I found it on Family Search many years ago and was the only marriage record that I could find in Scotland for the correct time frame. Sorry about my incorrect spelling of "your hometown." these ancestors of mine have been very elusive, record-wise. Family records have detailed the birth as being in Lochaber but I am presuming that either they are incorrect or that Thomas was born there but baptised in Fermanagh, Ireland.

Gins, thanks for the link. I did view the record but it had no more detail than you put on this site. I was hoping I could purchase a copy of the original, or a transcript, which might have details about parents, etc. <3 :-)

Maxell

Maxell Report 12 Oct 2013 21:59

Gins, I have had another look...with my morning eyes on. That Thomas is not mine for several reasons: both parents' names are wrong and my family ancestors were Protestant, not Catholic. What I do find interesting in the record is that the mother was Kitty McBarron and the second sponsor was Biddy McBarron. Guess who Thomas married? Jane McBarron!!!! :-D