Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth of Bridget Carpenter in Cork 1824??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phillip

Phillip Report 8 Oct 2013 20:31

A difficult one here as I have tried other sources but to no avail.

Bridget Fitzpatrick Carpenter died on 12 August 1887 aged 63 years and 3 months. She married Ralph Barrow on 4 August 1841 at St Thomas' Mount in Madras, India so she was only 19.

Ralph was serving in the 15th Hussars at the time. It may have changed name to 30th Light of Foot (?).

Interestingly, a daughter of theirs, Elizabeth, married Patrick Smith, in Clonmel, Tipperary in 1867. The Barrow family are not shown in the 1871 census for Channel Islands (where Ralph with Bridget were re-quartered) or UK so they may well have been in Ireland??

I understand the Irish 1871 was destroyed soon after being taken.

If anybody has any suggestions/hints/connections, please help me.

thank you

Phil

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Oct 2013 21:58

Is this the correct Ralph Barrow?

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Transcription

First name(s): Ralph
Last name: BARROW
Calculated year of birth: 1813
Parish of birth: Bolton
Town of birth: Bolton Le Moors
County of birth: Lancashire
Age at attestation: 18 years
Attestation date: 12 January 1831
Attestation corps:
Attestation soldier number:
Discharge rank: Serjt
Discharge corps: 15th (King's) Hussars
Discharge soldier number: 786
The National Archives reference: WO97

If so, the service records seem to state he was discharged in 1859 - appeared to have rheumatic problems?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Oct 2013 22:01

The only Irish census that survive are the 1901 & 1911.

The Ralph Barrow from those records was a machine maker and intended to live in Lancaster after discharge.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Oct 2013 19:39

Hi Philip and welcome to the Community Boards. :-)

I'll let Philip know how to return to his thread. :-)

Phillip

Phillip Report 9 Oct 2013 20:04

Thank you very much for your post - it IS the same chap - I think it was his eyesight that was the problem!!!!

Anyway, I can't see a way of ever finding out about Bridget - I don't know the parish in Cork which doesn't help!!!

Phil