Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert the Bruce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2013 08:51

My grandmother Grace Crow always maintained that she was descended from Robert the Bruce. Some other things she 'maintained' turned out to be correct.
I have recently discovered some Bruce's in my family tree, the earliest being William Bruce born 1764 in Colchester.
This kind of research is way beyond my talents so what are the chances?
I know there'll be thousands maybe millions with this claim, but nothing ventured .....

patchem

patchem Report 6 Oct 2013 09:07

Lauder-Frost, Gregory, FSA Scot,Darr Some Descendants of Robert the Bruce, in The Scottish Genealogist, vol. LI, No.2, June 2004: 49–58, ISSN 0300-337X.

Do google searches to see what has been done.

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Oct 2013 14:08

there are a lot of trees on ancestry with John Bruce 1764, they name his parents as John Bruce and Susan (Tansh).
There are no other details as to his ancestry
maddie

patchem

patchem Report 6 Oct 2013 15:23

Also, probably best to check if he had any sons and grandsons, otherwise the surname 'Bruce' would not be carried down?
(A quick google search gives one adult son, who did not have children...
So if descended from Robert, it will be with a different surname)

There are an awful lot of trees on ancestry with Robert in them - try mundia if you do not belong to ancestry, for amusement.

Potty

Potty Report 6 Oct 2013 15:49

His tree is also on is site:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/Scottish%20Monarchs(400ad-1603)/TheBruces/TheBrucesFamilyTree.aspx

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2013 18:50

Thanks all, it will definitely be for amusement! :-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Aug 2014 16:21

I was also told that we are possibly descended from Robert the Bruce.

William Bruce b. 1764 in Colchester is my Gt. Gt. Grandfather....Information I received is that his parents are possibly John Bruce and Su Hudson....which explains why in the family he was often referred to as William Hudson Bruce.
Nearly all my tree information has come from my Grandfather Charles Bruce.

Yes, there are a few trees on Ancestry and Genes Reunited as well as have daughters doing family history.