Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for William Lawrence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 6 Oct 2013 05:23

I have tried back in 2010 but no success so trying again. My William boarded the ship 'Oamaru' on 24/10/1877 at Glasgow, bound for Port Chalmers in New Zealand. He arrived on 18/1/1878. He is listed as a farm labourer coming from Derry aged 21. Surely there must be a way to trace more about him, passport or something like that. In other info about him, marriage certificate in New Zealand his parents are William, a farmer and Fanny nee Conner, and says he came from County Tyronne. In another document, he says he was born in County Cavan. With a lot of new Irish info coming out, I hope I can find him, or is he doomed for the too-hard-basket?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Oct 2013 07:23

Dorothy, what are you trying to find? Did the post in 2010 find anything? There are several trees with lots of info but no substantiation but they all start effectively when he emigrated.

Jude

patchem

patchem Report 6 Oct 2013 07:25

I was going to do a link to your previous posts, but as you received only one reply that suggested some sites for you to use but no information there is little point.

As you say, new information coming out all the time.

Good luck.

Added:
I am assuming that Dorothy wants to find his family in Ireland, just there are too many William Lawrences around

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Oct 2013 07:53

Patchem, snap! But the only post I could find didn't have any replies :-( It's strange though that the three trees I found have no sources!

Jude

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Oct 2013 08:04

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/cbluff/oamaru1878.html

Interesting article on the voyage! Don't know if you have this.

Jude

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 7 Oct 2013 04:27

Thank you. I had not seen that report of the Oamaru, have seen another. I want to find out more about his family in Ireland. Seems a bit intreguing he had so many places listed as coming from. I would like to know why he went to New Zealand, as becoase he is named after his father, presumably he was the oldest son. If in fact there were more siblings. Unfortunately my Dad died before I had an interest in the family tree, or he may have been able to tell me more. Any help is much appreciated.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2013 10:14

Have you looked at......................

https://familysearch.org/

As for 'why' he emigrated....................the usual reason was to find work...........and the prospect of a better life than that on offer in Ireland - or any country from which people moved away