Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 and 1923 Census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Aug 2013 09:46

I am a complete beginner and have just started to try and find out about my grand father on my mothers side of the family. My grand father was married 1st in 1912 and had two children. At some stage he was widowed and in 1927 married again and my mother was born a year later in 1928.
I have looked at the 1901 and 1911 Census and found out about my grand fathers parents and siblings but can I access later census records for 1921 and 1931 on this site?
thanks

Gai

Gai Report 30 Aug 2013 09:53

Hi Gillian,

Welcome to the boards.

Unfortunately due to the 100 year ruling there is no access to the 1921 and the 1931 census.

After 1911 the mothers maiden name is attached to a child's birth record so this is a great help in searching for family.

Gai :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Aug 2013 11:03

It might be possible to find him on Historical Electoral Rolls - they would also list other eligible voters living at the same address.

The age of Majority was 21 in those days, and married women, or women with property were not enfranchised until after WW1

"1918 the Representation of the People Act 1918 was passed, enfranchising women over the age of 30 who met minimum property qualifications. The Representation of the People Act 1928 extended the voting franchise to all women over the age of 21."

The 1918 Act also enfranchised most males over 21. Previously, at the lower end of society, it had been limited to skilled working class men.

You might find your ancestor in one of the Trade Directories.

Mike *

Mike * Report 30 Aug 2013 11:54

The 1931 census was destroyed in a fire and there was no survey taken in 1941 because of the war.
It may be more than 40 years until the 1951 details become public

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Aug 2013 12:32

1921 census will be released in 2022 - at the earliest .

What are you hoping to learn?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Aug 2013 12:39

Have you looked for the death of his first wife to find out when he was widowed please?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 30 Aug 2013 21:32

Gillian,

Trying to find out more should be easy as you should be going back not forward :-)

So what - as Reggie asks - are you trying to learn/find. Some names would help us....

Jude

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 31 Aug 2013 11:36

Hello Gillian, it may also be helpful to take a look at a couple of the first threads on this board. There is all sorts of helpful advice there for you.

I'll send Gillian a message on how to return to her thread. :-)

Eileen

Eileen Report 31 Aug 2013 14:04

I'd loved to know where my mum was living in 1920, but at the age of 75 now, I reckon the next census will be too late for me. With everyone tracing trees now, you'd think that they could release them earlier.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 31 Aug 2013 14:10

The 1911 census was the last one not subject to the 1920 Census Act which prevents release before 100 years (on the basis that people could still be living).

Jude

Gillian

Gillian Report 1 Sep 2013 12:31

Thank you for all your replies. As you can tell I am new to this.
I have checked the marriages for Frank Hartland in Wolverhampton Stafford and one name is listed as Elizabeth Peters in 1912.
This may be his first wife and my mum thinks that my grand father's daughter was called Joyce.
As suggested I will check earlier threads for useful advice.
:-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Sep 2013 12:45

No need to be unsure about who married whom in 1912....spouses' surnames are on the index

Look for children on freebmd.......................

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Enter the surnames in the appropriate boxes........click 'find'

there were two.........................

I won't post the details, as it's so much nicer for you to find info yourself.

But.....you haven't actually said what you want to know

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Sep 2013 12:50

Wife number one....................probably

Deaths Sep 1920 (>99%)
HARTLAND Elizabeth 34 Wolverhampton 6b 488

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Sep 2013 12:53

This will make sense when you find the births..............and marriages

Death
Name: REYNOLDS, Muriel Joyce
Registration district: Luton
County: Bedfordshire
Year of registration: 1985
Month of registration: February
Date of Birth:7 October 1917
Volume no: 9
Page no: 622
Reg no: 285

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Sep 2013 12:54

Death

Name: HARTLAND, Douglas Franklin
Registration district: Wolverhampton
County: Staffordshire
Year of registration: 2006
Month of registration: September
Date of Birth:7 June 1916
District no: 0771A
Reg no: A72A
Ent no: 145
DOR: 906

Gillian

Gillian Report 2 Sep 2013 19:29

Thank you Reggie, Douglas Franklin Hartland is my grandfathers son from his first marriage and I know know that he had a sister called Joyce. My mom thinks that Joyce is still alive and in her 90's.
I found my grandfathers marriage in 1912 and I think he married an Elizabeth Peters. I think she passed away in 1920 at the age of 34.

Thank you for the website which helps to find children.
Regards Gillian

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Sep 2013 08:20

I posted the mother's death.........and info about the sister