Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding burial for a baby.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annina

Annina Report 21 Aug 2013 14:11

A friend of a friend had a son in the 60's who lived for only two days. Her husband at the time,whisked the body away and would never tell her what he had done with him. I know his birth details,would it be possible to find out where he is buried?

I know if it were my baby I would love to know,if only to take him flowers.

Grahame Kelvin Lockwood,b 7.9.1966 d 9.9.66,Huddersfield. Mother Val Senior.

Any help would be lovely as this lady has no living family at all,and this has blighted her whole life.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2013 14:59

You could try to contact the nearest cemetery to where the birth took place or the address where the couple lived at the time.

Sometimes when a very young baby died it was placed in the coffin of another person being buried at the time (not necessarily related to the baby). As you have the exact date of death they cemetery staff may be able to help you.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 21 Aug 2013 15:23

Also, consider that the body might have been cremated.

Annina

Annina Report 21 Aug 2013 15:46

Thanks for suggestions,I had thought of these options,but there should be a record of where the baby is buried,or where cremated,I wanted advice as to where to look , more than anything else. I can't find him on the parish records on Find My Past.

Dea

Dea Report 21 Aug 2013 16:38

Well, thankfully at least the baby's birth and death were registered, otherwise it would be a criminal matter for the father to 'dispose' of the baby.

He MUST have had some sort of burial or cremation.

Was the baby born in hospital or at home?

If at hospital, the baby's body would have to be released to an undertaker and if at home, was there a doctor or a midwife present as it would also have to be arranged for him to be taken by an undertaker I believe.

Certainly the father would not be allowed to 'whisk him away' ??

You could try contacting local undertakers in the area to see if they have any record of 'receiving' him ?

Dea x

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Aug 2013 16:47

Even as late as the 1960's, babys were often buried in a strangers coffin.

The sad thing is that your friend may never find out what happened to her baby. <3

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2013 17:04

Even if the baby was buried in a stranger's coffin there should still be a burial record.

My husband's baby brother was buried with a stranger (a 2 year old girl) in 1946, but we found his burial record at the County Record Office. We checked there because we had an idea that he would be buried in the church graveyard that was nearest to the home address of his parent's at the time even though we didn't know any of these details until after my in-laws were both dead. The church had been demolished but the graveyard is still there.

I don't think Findmypast's parish records are anywhere near complete so I think your best bet would be the county records office for Yorkshire.

Kath. x

Annina

Annina Report 22 Aug 2013 13:23

Once again,thanks for all you replies,I will try the local council.