Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Philadelphia Nickelson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Virginia

Virginia Report 15 Aug 2013 05:19

Hello, I've been trying to find a birth record for Philadelphia Nickelson (variations: Nicholson, Nickleson) but I'm at a loss.

She was born about 1768 but I don't think she was born in London. In the 1841 census, it shows that she wasn't born in county. She died 7 years later so not in the 1851 etc.

I have looked for variations of names, 10 +/- years either side of 1768, England birth records and Scottish birth records. I just cannot find this woman. I found her marriage record, records of her children and her burial.

Can someone please help? Im so stuck!
:-(

Choccy

Choccy Report 15 Aug 2013 05:43

There's a tree on Ancestry has her born in 1771 in Scotland, but no other personal information about her apart from death in 1848 in Islington. She apparently married Alexander Brown in 1795 in Westminster.

Virginia

Virginia Report 15 Aug 2013 06:06

Thanks for replying Choccy. I'll go and check that out, haven't come across this tree. Every little bit helps. :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 15 Aug 2013 09:51

Virginia,
I could be wrong on this one, but the name "Philadelphia Nicolson" seems to be synonymous with Tingwall, Shetland.

The 1st recorded birth of a child called Philadelphia Nicolson in Shetland is 1793, so not your woman, but it is an unusual name for Scottish children and I guess that her origins could stem from The Shetland Isles?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2013 18:02

Searching between 1857 and 1880, for Philadelphia without a surname, on ScotlandsPeople, brings up 21 results from various parts of Scotland.

No Nicholsons, or variants.

Perhaps Nicholson wasn't her maiden name?

EDIT: But I don't see any marriages between Something Nicholson and Philadelphia Something.

martynsue

martynsue Report 15 Aug 2013 18:16

what a wonderful name.

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 15 Aug 2013 18:38

From FMP not the birth but the marriage mentioned above

Groom's First names:Alexander

Groom's surname:Brown

Groom's parish:St James Piccadilly

Groom's Age:

Marriage year:1795

Marriage month:Sep

Marriage day:27

Parish:St James, Piccadilly

County:Middlesex

Bride's First names:Philadelphia

Bride's surname:Nickelson

Bride's parish:St James Piccadilly

Bride's Age:

Record source:Westminster Marriages- Transcripts

Data provider:Westminster Archives

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Aug 2013 20:07

I've seen the name Philadelphia used quite often in older Sussex registers.

Gwyn

Virginia

Virginia Report 16 Aug 2013 23:33

Thanks for the replies :)

The most likely variation of her surname is Nickelson and there are a few Nickelsons around Islington at the time of her birth however none point to a Philadelphia. I even searched for a variation of that name!

She may have been born in Westminster, London though - although those parish records for her time of birth don't exist online - am I right? I've tried looking on some subscription sites and lds and those records seem to be missing.