Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George & Hannah Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 6 Aug 2013 23:41

Hi can anyone help I am trying to trace this family I have the on the 1911 census living in Chapel Hill, Ambleside Westmorland. I would like to find out more about them because my relatives Catherine Horan and Alice Horan boarded with them there. If possible it would be good if I could find out the number of the cottage on Chapel Hill as it isnt stated on the census.

Heather

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2013 23:46

If the house isn't numbered on the census......it didn't have a number

And what 'more' do you wish to know?

Their marriage will be on freebmd.................which will give you Hannah's maiden name

If your relatives were only boarders in their home, they aren't in any way connected to you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2013 23:47

1911 census

Person: HORAN, Catherine Address: Chapel Hill Ambleside

ATKINSON, George Head Married M 30 1881 Labourer General Kirkby Lonsdale Westmorland VIEW
ATKINSON, Hannah Wife Married8 years F 27 1884 Ambleside Westmorland VIEW
ATKINSON, Fred Son M 6 1905 Ambleside Westmorland VIEW
ATKINSON, James Son M 4 1907 Ambleside Westmorland VIEW
ATKINSON, Gwendoline Daughter F 0 (8 MONTHS) 1911 Ambleside Westmorland VIEW
HORAN, Catherine Boarder Single F 22 1889 Laundress Steam Laundry Blackburn Lancs VIEW
HORAN, Alice Boarder Single F 21 1890 Laundress Steam Laundry Blackburn Lancs

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Aug 2013 23:58

If you wanted to spend some money you could buythe birth certificate of the youngest child on the census just to see if a house number is given (that's if they were living at the same place) although I tend to think there won't be a number otherwise they would have given it in the address when the census form was signed by George Atkinson.

This is the reference for the child's birth certificate:-

Name: ATKINSON, Gwendoline M
Registration district: Kendal
County: Westmorland
Year of registration: 1910
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume no: 10B
Page no: 747

Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 7 Aug 2013 07:23

Thank you Kath, hadn't thought of going that way round before, will give it a try.

Heather x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Aug 2013 08:49

A very selective response...........