Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Richard / David Richards, Cilcennin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Aug 2013 23:34

Would appreciate even the smallest glimmer of light.

I am trying to trace the parents or place of origin of David Richards, born c. 1803 or 1806 –
His place of birth variously given in census returns as Silian, or Llansanffraid, or Llancwnlle (sic).
David Richard(s) was married to Sarah, maiden surname unknown; place of her birth probably Cilcennin, but have failed to come up with any likely candidates here either.

Censuses, 1841 - 1881 resident in Gwarffynnon, Cilcennin.

1841 David Richard, Gwarffynnon, Cilcennin
RG number: HO107 Piece: 1373 Book / Folio 1/9 Page: 10

Sarah Richard (1851 census) born Cilcennin, 1801

1881 – David still there, but now a lodger/annuitant with his son-in-law, and now a widower. RG number: RG11 Piece: 5442 Folio: 10 Page: 13

I have failed to trace baptism, marriage, etc He was my great great grandfather. The family probably attended Nebo chapel, near Cilcennin, or possibly church. Some were congregationalists, some Anglican, some possibly Methodist.

A small cottage in Cilcennin called Parcau / Parciau / Parke also had Richards resident in some censuses. They are also my family.

Many thanks,
Jen

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Aug 2013 00:48

Which of his children is your direct ancestor ?

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Aug 2013 00:54

1841 for our reference

David Richard
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1806
Where born:Cardiganshire, Wales

Civil Parish:Cilcennin
Hundred:Ilar (Lower Division)
County/Island:Cardiganshire

David Richard 35
Sarah Richard 40
Evan Richard 7
Jenkin Richard 5
Catharine Richard 2

Catharine's birth cert should give you mother's maiden name

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Aug 2013 01:22

Name: Jenkin Richard
Christening Date: 16 Aug 1835
Christening Place: HENFYNYW INDEPENDENT,NEUADD-LWYD,CARDIGAN,WALES
Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Father's Name: David Richard
:
Mother's Name: Sarah
:

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Aug 2013 09:57

Dear Mike,

Many thanks,

My ancestor, daughter of David and Sarah is MARY Richard / Richards.

Although birth is given as 1839, She does not appear with the family until 1851 census.

I have failed to trace her in the neighbourhood in 1841 census. Nearest possibility might be a Mary RIchard living with a Davies family in Tregaron. (Waen Cross, Tref Garon/Tregaron) But until I find Sarah's surname hard to say. No family connection with Tregaron as far as I know. All other Mary Richard/s are living with many siblings.

I did send (2008) for the one local birth reported in Aberaeron/Llansantfread for 1839 for the name Mary Richards. Certainly born Cilcennin, but father Thomas Richards, Merchant, and mother Leah Richards (formerly Morgans) - so not the one.

However, searching today I find there is a Mary RIchard (no s) born 1838 in the Aberayron area, which will be pursued.

HENFYNWY CHAPEL BAPTISM of Mary's brother.
Now that is really intriguing./exciting. Are these chapel records viewable in Ceredigion Archives or in the National Library?

Many thanks.

Jen

safc

safc Report 6 Aug 2013 10:21

????

Name: Mary Richard
Christening Date: 22 Aug 1834
Christening Place: PENSARN CALVINISTIC METHODIST,LLANDISSILIOGOGO,CARDIGAN,WALES
Birth Date: 21 Aug 1834
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: David Richard
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Sarah Daniel
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C09994-1
System Origin: Wales-ODM
GS Film number: 0828105 (RG4 2782)
Reference ID:

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Aug 2013 10:54

Thank you,

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Aug 2013 13:28

Is this a possibility for Sarah's death? Cert might give you clues to lead to Mary Richard/s in 1841. Perhaps you've investigated that already:

Deaths Jun 1877 (>99%)
RICHARDS Sarah 77 Aberayron 11b 36

I expect you've already discovered that there are 3 possible deaths for David on FreeBMD. The one in 1886 looks most likely from the census ages:
Deaths Sep 1886 (>99%)
Richards David 80 Aberayron 11b 37

Deaths Dec 1888 (>99%)
RICHARDS David 80 Aberayron 11b 30

Deaths Mar 1890 (>99%)
Richards David 89 Aberayron 11b 3[41]

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 11 Aug 2013 10:32

Many thanks, ArgyllGran, I am currently waiting for the delivery of a possible Mary Richard birth cert (as above), before I look at the Sarah and David possibilities you have suggested.