Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beyer death lookup in NZ please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 5 Aug 2013 15:09

Looking for death of Bertha Julia Beyer born 1891 in Kumara Westland. Parents Peter Anton Beyer born c1849 Norway, and Sarah Anne Arnold. Bertha had son Frederick in 1911 with no father mentioned, but no marriage ever found for her, so may be reason i cannot find her death in Beyer. Her father Peter Anton Beyer lived in Otira in 1918 and his wife Sarah died in Greymouth 1928 a widow. Somewhere in those 10 years Peter has died. No record in NZ BDM.

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Aug 2013 01:00

Hi Heather, I suspect your Bertha either married later, or left the country, as I can see no records either. Because her son was registered with the Beyer surname, I suspect she was unmarried, but kept him rather than having him adopted out - the West Coast was a bit "Wild West" in those days, as I have found out in my research of my own family.

I have found the marriage of Peter Beyer and Sarah Ann Haig Arnold on 13-03-1886, and the birth of their first child Adolphus Otto on 25-05-1886, meaning she was pregnant at the time of their marriage. Then there is Peter Bennard (03-01-1889), Bertha Julia (01-06-1891), Maud Rose & George Henry (twins 10-08-1894), and Harriett May (15-05-1897)

The only other things I can find are that Peter Anton Beyer was involved in a mining rescue near Kumara in March 1882, and was discharged bankrupt on 01-09-1894.

George Henry & "Alfred" Otto (Adolphus anglicised?) were enlisted in the West Coast Regiment in May 1915, and Peter "Barnard" Beyer was enlisted in 1916, showing up in a 1918 Roll of Honour as wounded in action

Hope this adds to the picture for you

Gee

Gee Report 9 Aug 2013 08:01

Is this the death of her son? Have you checked the informant on his death certificate?

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Date of Birth/

1953/31808 Beyer Frederick William Age at Death 42Y

Here is Peter in 1923

New Zealand, City & Area Directories, 1866-1955

Name:Peter Anton Beyer
Year:1923
Residence: Otira

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 9 Aug 2013 09:20

Thank you for your help with the Beyer family. O now have located Berth as being married to Thomas Picken and have her death and children. I also have through local ;l burial records found Peter Anton Beyer. They spelt his name BEYERS on the listings, so have changed the spelling so others dont have trouble in searching for them. Is nice to have a happy outcome.

Ru

Ru Report 9 Aug 2013 12:30

Some information on Kumara.

First stop from Otira (West Coast end of Arthurs Pass) Southern Alps of NZ. It is where the annual Coast to Coast endurance race starts. Small town known for its logging and gold mining.

Sappho

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 9 Aug 2013 14:02

I have been to Otira and Kumara. Not much there now, but in its hey day would have been bustling places. Thank you for your comments Sappho.

Gee

Gee Report 9 Aug 2013 16:09

Glad you found him in the end.

Not sure if you have this information?

New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981

Name:Peter Anton Beyer

Birth Date:abt 1849

Birth Place:Norway

Former Nationality:Norwegian

Residence City:Kumara

Naturalisation Date:24 Jun 1887

File Number:1887/1613