Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Binns Cottage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Francesca

Francesca Report 2 Aug 2013 22:12

I am researching the Binns family from Halifax west yorkshire. I have discovered a property called Binns Cottage at Binns Top ,Southowram,Halifax. Its no longer there but it was definately still standing in 1891.I am trying to find out if there is any connection to my Binns family. Would it be possible for someone to do a census address search to see who was living there in 1891 or earlier.
Thankyou
Francesca

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 22:18

It was listed but unoccupied in 1891 ......

I'd guess it was named Binns Cottage because it was on Binns Top?

Can't find it on 1881

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Aug 2013 22:21

A search of 1911 census bring up several instances of Binns in the area

2 Binns Yard Great Albion St

1 Near Binns Southowram Elland

Near Binns Southowram Elland

4 Binns Yard Gt St Halifax

Far Binns Farm Southowram Elland

Andy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 22:23

There have been recent property advertisements for an "Upper Binns Cottage" in Binns Top Lane.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Aug 2013 22:26

1881 for Binns Top Cottages
Class: RG11; Piece: 4397; Folio: 18; Page: 28; GSU roll: 1342050.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 22:31

From the newspapers:

Publication:Sheffield Daily Telegraph
Publication date:Saturday 06 December 1879

Article text:"John Exley, a farm labourer, of Binns' Cottage. Southowram, near Halifax, was charged with committing wilful and corrupt perjury at Halifax County Court on November 18th. 1879. The alleged perjury arose cut of a case in a Sheffield money lender."

ADDED: In 1895 it was burgled, the occupants then were the Misses Gregory who kept a school in Halifax.

Francesca

Francesca Report 2 Aug 2013 22:52

Ok thanks everyone for that information
Francesca

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Aug 2013 22:56

Francesca....Believe it or not I will be in Southowram Saturday if you want me to check anything out for you...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/253719

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/253724

Francesca

Francesca Report 2 Aug 2013 23:50

Thanks for the offer its very kind of you. I don't live far from there myself s I will have to go up and have a look around. That 2nd photo looks very interesting,possibly binns cottage?Apparently binns cottage was in Binns Wood ,I have been told,so will have to go have a look there . Thanks again
Francesca