Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rowe/Roe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 2 Aug 2013 14:49

I am looking for Rowe/Roe ancestors. I have traced the family back to Northampton in the 16th century, but I am having trouble finding information before this, any suggestions?
I have also found that the Rowe name was originally from Normandy as De Rohaut, and four brothers with that name came over with William the conqueror in 1066. It would appear that they settled in Devon. How can I fill in the 500 years in between? or is there no chance?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2013 15:00

I would have thought that if you have got back to the 16th century then you just keep doing whatever you have been doing - presumably looking at parish records. I have no idea how far back parish records go as I have never tried researching that far back.

I have some of my direct ancestors back to the mid-1700's but I am satisfied with this as I only really started because I wanted to find out about my grandfather on one side and my great grandmother on another side so I guess I'm easily pleased, lol.

Kath. x

Stephen

Stephen Report 2 Aug 2013 15:14

Thanks Kath,
Most of the research was done by my father without the aid of the internet. I think the problem is that before 1535, records were kept in monasteries but after they were dissolved by Henry VIII, these records would have been lost. However I live in hope to find out more - Too ambitious!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Aug 2013 15:49

care to give us some details - name of the furthest back you've found with dates and location

Stephen

Stephen Report 2 Aug 2013 15:59

Hi Ann,
Thanks for your reply. Earliest Rowe is William 1638 at Woodford (where we have traced the family back to), but there are two other Rowe families close by one at Raunds - Thomas Rowe 1552 and another at Hargrave - Robert Rowe 1632. I have not been able to establish any link between them, but they are only a couple of miles apart.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Aug 2013 18:04

Search Northamptonshire Parish registers collection 1538 on ...
Search Northamptonshire parish records dating back as far as 1538. Find 1500 Parish registers and the Church records of baptisms, marriages and burials for family ...
www.familyrelatives.com/search/search_?parishrecords_indi... - Cached

Woodford History
Registers / Census. Marriage Register Pre 1835 email me for a free look up service. ... This site is maintained by Woodford Parish Council
www.woodfordpc.co.uk/fhintro.htm - Cached

Woodford Genealogy Resources & Parish Registers ...
... the General Register Office. ... Vicar General’s Office Marriage Licences (1600-1679) ... The village of Woodford, ...
forebears.co.uk/england/?northamptonshire/woodford - Cached

Northamptonshire - FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices
NB.Transcribed from Parish Registers by ... Initially an extension of the Dallington parish but now called Northampton ... Situated in the Parish of Woodford ...
www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/nth.shtml - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Aug 2013 18:41

northamptonshire marriage index 1700-1837
a complete index to the marriage registers for Northants 1700-1837 available to purchase on CD. ... The parish registers for ... WOODFORD South Northants (incl ...
www.northants1841.fsnet.co.uk/?marriages.html - Cached

£35 for the CD

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Aug 2013 18:43

MEMBERS' INTERESTS C - D - Northants Family History Society ...
1600-1880. titchmarsh: 3949. chapman : 1800-2000. ... woodford halse area: 4264. clark: 18th c. raunds: 254. ... northampton / harlestone: 1239. denton: 1650 – 1800.
www.northants-fhs.org/?mem%20int%20CD.html - Cached