Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bartlemore/Clifford family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 2 Aug 2013 12:13

This is rather complicated!. My great grandfather James Matthews married Mary Clifford in 1868 in Wiltshire. I sent for two of James and Mary's children's birth certificates~one gave Mary's maiden name as Clifford, the other as Bartlemore. As I searched back I found many of her relatives listed in Ancestry as Clifford OR Bartlemore, including brothers etc. The most recent was Archibald Thomas Bartlemnore OR Clifford. born in 1908. His father is listed on the records as Herbert Edwin Clifford OR Bartlemore. I contacted Family Search in America and they gave me references to a 'William Bartelmu or Clefford' who married Elizabeth Dash in 1674 in Bremhill, Wilts. So it seems that the use of these alternative names goes back as far as the 1600s!. In the census records from 1837 onwards, the two names are not shown on the original image. The two alternative names also appear on some birth and marriage records. Someone must have transcribed the originals onto the sites, but I can find no explanation of where these dual names have originated from. In the Ancestry records, the family members seem to switch between the surnames, sometimes calling themselves Clifford and sometimes Bartlemore!. I am sure it is the same family-very puzzling!.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Aug 2013 23:06

Hello Ann, have you contacted the Wiltshire Family History Society to see if they can cast any light on this?

http://www.wiltshirefhs.co.uk/