Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval records - possibly world war 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Solar

Solar Report 30 Jul 2013 12:33

Hi, is anyone free to do a search for me.
My great great grand father was Edwin Charles Biffin born 20.11.1875 in Southampton. He married a Hilda Pickering in 1895 in Southampton. I have details of the census reports for them and it states that Edwin was a Seaman. The notes I have are as follows (passed on via a previous member of the family who once started some research)
National Archives:
Description Name Biffin, Charles Edward
Official Number: 163509
Catalogue reference ADM 188/242
Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services
Piece 163501 - 164000

The trouble is I don't really know what any of this means and wonder if anyone could help. Is it possible he served in World War 1 at all.

Any help would be great. Many thanks, Sarah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2013 12:40

1911 census

Person: BIFFIN, Edwin Charles Address: 8 Hartley Street Southampton

BIFFIN, Edwin Charles Head Married15 years M 36 1875 Coal Porter Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Hilda Caroline Wife Married15 years F 32 1879 Wife Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Lilian Eugene Daughter F 14 1897 Domestic Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Ernest Christopher Son M 10 1901 School Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Hilda Elizabeth Daughter F 7 1904 School Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Vera Annie Daughter F 4 1907 Southampton VIEW
BIFFIN, Leslie Henry Son M 0 (4 MONTHS) 1911 Southampton

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2013 12:41

Unlikely to have taken any active part in WW1, in view of his age

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2013 12:43

To access the records, go to the National Archives site................I believe (not certain, as I've never had the need) it is possible to download documents..............for a fee.

BUT........the forenames don't tally...........so are you sure it's the same man?

EDIT:
I see that his names were flexible............ ...........

Marriages Sep 1895 (>99%)
Biffin Charles Edward Southampton 2c 91
Pickering Hilda Caroline Southampton 2c 91

Solar

Solar Report 30 Jul 2013 12:46

Thank you, will take a look now. Not 100% if the same man as like I say notes passed on from another researcher (who has sadly now passed on so cannot check with them)
Thanks

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 30 Jul 2013 12:48

You can download his record from the Nat. Archives, will cost £3-36

Name Biffin, Charles Edward. Official Number: 163509. Place of Birth: Southampton, Hampshire. Date of Birth: ...

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Registers. Name Biffin, Charles Edward. Official Number: 163509. Place of Birth: Southampton, Hampshire. Date of Birth: 20 November 1875.
Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Date range:01 January 1891 - 31 December 1891
Reference:ADM 188/242/163509
Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Navy

Link to the search page of the Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-seamen.htm

George

Solar

Solar Report 30 Jul 2013 12:49

Thank you George. Sorry but did you know what this record will actually show me at all?

Solar

Solar Report 30 Jul 2013 12:50

Ah just seen from the website what it will contain so thanks everso for the link going to proceed with it now