Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Details

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joysie4

joysie4 Report 27 Jul 2013 19:47

My daughter wants to know what my ancesters died of I cant afford to buy all the certificates is there a cheaper way of finding out

joyce

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jul 2013 19:52

If they died in a Workhouse Infirmary, you might be able to view their records.

You can also search the newspaper archives in case they are mentioned as casualties or victims of a crime.

If a significant number died within the same quarter, see if there was an epidemic at the time

Can't think of any other way. Sorry.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 27 Jul 2013 20:01

Thank you detective this information isnt what I wanted but its worth knowing as my 3rd great grandparents lost 4 children in 1822 - 1831 in devon

joyce

Mike *

Mike * Report 27 Jul 2013 20:30

There are no certificates before 1837.
Sometimes you may be lucky to see cause of death on the original parish register.

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Jul 2013 20:34

4 deaths like that over a number of years isn't that unusual at that time. Could be a combination of poor living conditions/bad diet/disease. Very few records kept at that time (no census or civil registration) so its unlikely that the info you are looking for exists.

Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jul 2013 20:58

I must admit I find death certificates better value than birth and marriage ones. It is surprising how many of my ancestors died of diseases which still run through the family today.

I try to get death certificates for all my direct line of ancestors - they are facinating.

I agree with Andrew's thinking that 4 deaths of children at that time isn't that unusual. One of my husband's ancestors had 16 children and lost 11 of them.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jul 2013 21:40

No such documents as certs before July 1837, when the GRO came into being

joysie4

joysie4 Report 27 Jul 2013 21:53

Thank you all for your replies your comments were interesting

joyce