Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gunn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 26 Jul 2013 21:22

hi all i have recently had my DNA checked and apparently am related to Franz Beyerie 1672 from Wellderstadt germany i have traced my family tree back to 1650 and all relations come from Suffolk except my GGGrandfather Samual gunn who was born in Middlesbrough in 1843 i am confused could he have been adopted or one of his forefathers any help please

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jul 2013 21:30

Who checked it ?

I'm not well up on it but as far as I know unless they had a direct line descendant father to son to son from Franz Beyerie to compare your DNA against they wouldn't be able to say you are related.

Or is this mitochondrial DNA testing, which simply shows that the 'markers' go back to a certain area of Europe/Africa?

Sorry if I'm being dense, hopefully someone will know more.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jul 2013 21:30

What makes you think Samuel was born in Middlesbrough? I can't find anyone of that name on the census.

Could this be Samuel on the 1871 census:-

1871 census transcription details for: Bobber's Mill, Radford

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG10
Piece: 3503
Folio: 15
Page: 24
Reg. District: Radford
Sub District: Hyson Green
Parish: Radford
Enum. District: 1E
Ecclesiastical District:
City/Municipal Borough:

Address: Bobber's Mill, Radford
County: Nottinghamshire

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born

GUNN, Samuel Head M 30 1841 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, Emma Wife F 27 1844 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, Frank Son M 7 1864 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, Samuel Son M 6 1865 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, John J Son M 5 1866 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, Arthur Son M 2 1869 Nottinghamshire
GUNN, William Son M 0 1871 Nottinghamshire

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 21:31

How the **** can anyone have DNA from 1672 to compare with yours?

DNA 'testing' is a money making scam for a lot of very unscrupulous people who prey on the unwary

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jul 2013 21:59

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/germany/default.aspx?section=ysnp

"German Language Area DNA Research Project - Y-DNA SNP

The major branch points on our shared paternal lineage trace back through genealogy, history, antiquity, and ancient anthropology to reach our early hominid ancestors who lived in Africa. Recent (terminal) branches may be as recent as ten generations old or several thousand years. Thus, they are an established way to trace the migrations of human populations from the earliest times to the present. The branches on the paternal tree are haplogroups. SNP markers on the Y-Chromosome define them. This page displays Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) SNP results for the project. It shows Y-DNA haplogroups and all SNP results both positive (derived) and negative (ancestral). A plus, +, sign denotes positive results. A negative, -, sign denotes negative results. You may learn more about Y-Chromosome SNPs on the Understanding Y-DNA SNP Results learning page."

All it means basically is that at some point back in the mists of time your ancestors from 'out of Africa' passed through that area, ...it doesn't make you 'related' to Franz Bayerie except in the very general sense that one of his ancestors and yours came from a fairly specific area of Africa and passed through the area now known as Germany on their way to other places.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 26 Jul 2013 22:00

hi Reggie i have the same DNA as a Rick Beyerie who lives in the USA who is the direct decendant of Franz Beyerie
hi Kath Samual born 1843 Guisbough wife Emma born in Warwickshire, sons James and Samual also born Guisbough they moved down south and had a doughter Samual died in 1892 in gravesend they are on various census i do not think they were married because Samual married another woman in the 1880`s thats in a nut shell

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jul 2013 22:05

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=26#1389

Haplogroups...for eg

"Haplogroup B

Haplogroup B is one of the oldest human Y-chromosome lineages. Haplogroup B is found only in Africa. It was part of a major population expansion in Africa approximately 90-130 thousand years ago. This event may have spread Haplogroup B throughout Africa. Haplogroup B appears at low frequency all around Africa."

Haplogroup E is one of the two branches of the mega-haplogroup DE. It originated approximately 50,000 years ago. Scientists believe that E arose in Africa. It may also represent a back migration. It is linked to the Neolithic expansion of peoples into Southern Europe. Scientists have discovered over sixty subclades of E.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jul 2013 22:17

Is this your Samuel in the 1891 census:-

1891 census transcription details for: 23, Augustine Road, Milton, Gravesend

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG12
Piece: 646
Folio: 31
Page: 12
Reg. District: Gravesend
Sub District: Gravesend
Parish: Milton
Enum. District: 9
Ecclesiastical District: St Peter & St Paul
City/Municipal Borough: Gravesend

Address: 23, Augustine Road, Milton, Gravesend
County: Kent

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation , Disability Where Born

GUNN, Samuel Head Married M 46 1845 Carpenter
Guisbrough, Yorkshire
GUNN, Harriet Wife Married F 51 1840
Chatham, Kent
GUNN, James Son Single M 18 1873
Guisbrough, Yorkshire
GUNN, Samuel Son Single M 16 1875
Guisbrough, Yorkshire
GILL, Edith Huney Stepdaughter Single F 17 1874
Poplar, London
GILL, Alfred Stepson Single M 13 1878
Gravesend, Kent

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 22:24

Bear in mind.............'It's a wise child that knows its father'

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2013 23:18

"all relations come from Suffolk "

to misquote

" All the girls love a sailor" ??

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jul 2013 23:27

If it's mitrochondrial DNA, then any link is through the maternal line.
If it's the other kind, it's through the paternal line.
It's amazing what you learn - I didn't know that before!

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/geneticgenealogy/a/dna_tests.htm