Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm searching for Delaportes out there

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Matthew

Matthew Report 26 Jul 2013 14:46

Hi there all,

I'm helping a friend who is going to start researching her family tree. Her Grandad is Joseph Rene Delaporte who comes from Jersey (he now lives in West Yorkshire). He was born in 1928.

Where is the best place for her start? She'd like to find her extended family from the Delaportes. Which sites can she get good information from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Potty

Potty Report 26 Jul 2013 14:53

By extended family, do you mean living relatives or is she trying to go backwards?

The first step would be to put his name in the Search trees facility on this site (drop down menu under Search at top right of screen) to see if anybody on here has him in their tree.

If she wants to go backwards, she should start with her grandfather's marriage cert, to find out his father's name and then his birth cert to find his mother's name.

Jerseylily on this site offers Jersey lookups. This is her thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1120035

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jul 2013 14:57

This site might give some information about Jersey records:-

http://www.jerseyheritage.org/research-centre

The first thing your friend needs is her grandfather's birth certificate to get his parent's names although if she knows he lives in West Yorkshire she could just ask him couldn't she?

Kath. x

Matthew

Matthew Report 26 Jul 2013 15:05

Thanks. She's looking to work her way back for family history. Obviously the relatives won't be here anymore but she'd like find who they were.

Her Grandad has passed on information to her but he only knows so much.

Thanks again

Matt

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2013 15:47

not seeing any Delaporte's in the Channel Islands - Du Portes and La Portes

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2013 15:49

found one in Yorkshire

Name: Francis De La Porte
Burial Date: 31 Jul 1833
Burial Place: Scarborough, York, England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03299-2
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 919207
Reference ID: p 101

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 15:52

You refer to her grandfather in the present tense.

Please, therefore, remove his exact DOB from your post

Does he know the names of his parents?

If he does, post them here, and a search of census records can be made.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2013 15:53

lots in France as one would expect - this one from France goes to Jersey

Name: Charles De La Porte
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1891
Relationship to Head of Household: Boarder
Birthplace: Oise
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Jersey
Sub-District: E
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Saviours
Parish: St Saviour
County: Jersey

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 15:56

You say that Joseph 'comes from' Jersey........is that intended to imply that he was born there?

Matthew

Matthew Report 26 Jul 2013 16:09

Thanks very much Ann,

I've just spoken to my friend & she tells me that the family originates from France & they were known as De La Porte.

I'll pass this info to her

Many thanks

Matt

Potty

Potty Report 26 Jul 2013 16:47

If she knows her grandfather's name, she may be able to find him in the 1911 CI census, although there are no male Delaports coming up in Jersey, just a 52 year old widow. There are 3 in Guernsey, all born France:

Philomene Delaporte 62 head
Joseph Delaporte 25 nephew
Alphonse Delaporte 15 nephew

and another Alphonse, 15, a student

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 26 Jul 2013 21:28

I'll see if I can find anything at the Jersey Archive next week.

There are only 2 De La Portes showing up on the Archive catalogue, both children found abandoned at the gate of the hospital, hence the name 'de la porte' or 'of the gate'. Martha in 1847 and James in 1851.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 21:43

As the grandfather was born in 1928, he won't be found on any census before the 1951 version

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 21:45

Matt

Any chance of an answer to my question about Joseph's knowledge of his parents' names?

Matthew

Matthew Report 26 Jul 2013 21:59

Hi Reggie,

I don't know the answer to your question about Joseph's parents. My friend is signing up to this site over the weekend and I've told her about this thread so she'll take over from me.

Thanks Jerseylily. My friend will be in touch with you as I'm only working with the info I was given.

Matt

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 27 Jul 2013 16:08

Hello there my name is Kayleigh and I am very new to this so you'll have to bare with me :-)
Thank You Matt for helping me start out!
My Grandfather Joseph Rene Delaporte was born in Jersey and brought over to England as an evacuee during the war.
My Grandfathers Father was also called Joseph Delaporte and his Mother was called Lucienne Le Cardinal.
The response has been great to this I am going to go through these names with him. He thinks he has their marriage certificate somewhere too so that will be some help!

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 27 Jul 2013 16:08

Thank You

Kayleigh

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 30 Jul 2013 18:00

Did your Grandfather manage to find that marriage certificate?

I found his birth in the indexes for the parish of St Peter and those of a brother and sister but couldn't find a marriage for his parents. Is it possible that they married in France?