Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did it go to court - Thomas Turner Charged

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ru

Ru Report 26 Jul 2013 08:37

Thomas Turner b 1885 was said to have had a fight in a bar in London and as a result the opponent was knocked to the ground. One the way down he hit his head and died. The event could have taken place anytime from 1903 to 1920.

Thomas Turner was charged with manslaughter. We cannot find anything on this and have no idea what year, month day it happened or even when/if it went to court. Nothing showing in Old Bailey Records that we can see.

Any ideas where I should look to find out what happened?

Please help.
Many thanks,

Sappho

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 08:40

The Old Bailey is by no means the only Court in London

What is the source of this story?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 08:45

Records on FMP go up to 1934..........no sign of anything there.

Perhaps the charges were dropped.............in which case, there is unlikely to be any record

Where was he on 1911 census?

Ru

Ru Report 26 Jul 2013 09:00

Thank you Reggie,

The source is his grand-daughter who has been told this story. They thought he had been charged with murder or manslaughter.

Thomas is my grand-uncle. We have searched for more on this, but cannot find anything.

In 1911 Census he is with his family -

I think this is Thomas 1885 with his own family in 1911.

1911 England Census
about Thomas Turner Name: Thomas Turner
Age in 1911: 27
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Southwark, London, England
Civil Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr
County/Island: London
Street Address: 10 Falstaff Yard
Marital Status: Married
Registration District: Southwark
Registration District Number: 23
Sub-registration District: Kent Road
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Piece: 1766
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Turner 27
Maud Turner 29
Rose Turner 21
Ena Emily Turner 5
Johannah Turner 2

He died in 1939.

It is a hard one as I do agree - the charges may have been dropped especially if it was established he hit his head accidentally. Sorry for using 'he' as I have no name at all for the deceased person.

Thanks for looking - it is appreciated.

Where to go from here - perhaps the papers may have reported something - what do you think any points?

Sappho

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2013 09:09

The local paper may well have reported the death, but you'd need a name and location........and some sort of time-scale

Ru

Ru Report 26 Jul 2013 09:29

Yes, thank you again Reggie - it's a non-starter - like we have Thomas Turner's name, but no year, month, etc., and no other name such as that of the person who died.

Thank you again for your advice - suppose if we had the name of the place they were at might help for local paper to report. Southwark, London, or Surrey as it was then.

Just a long shot. Thanks again much appreciated.

Sappho

Ru

Ru Report 26 Jul 2013 11:42

Thank you to all who have looked in on this.

Just off to bed now. Still no luck on this on.

Will look in in the morning.

Good night

Sappho (down under)