Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish in St. Helens Lancashire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 22 Jun 2013 17:39

I've been trying for almost two years to find birth details of my Irish Great x Grandfather Robert Rozzell born c1799 as I would love to visit the County of his birth. Over recent months, I've successfully identified others with the same unusual surname also born in Ireland and living in the same town of St. Helens around the same time. Unfortunately, I can't find birth details of any of these either and hope that now that I have a number of people who are probably related, someone on the Board may be able to help/advise me. The people I am confident must be related to Robert are - Lawrence Rozzell born c1796 who at one time lived next door to him, James Rozzell/Rossell born 1833, and two other Roberts, these being Robert Russel born 1821 and Robert Rozzell born 1841, who in 1861 was boarding with a daughter of Great x 3 Grandfather Robert. Another possibility is John Rozelle born 1801 who I found was in Kirkdale Gaol in 1841!
I have found Rozzells in County Wicklow, but variants of that surname, especially with the first name Robert, appears to be more prevalent in Co. Antrim. This is my final attempt and I will then admit defeat.

Mark

Mark Report 22 Jun 2013 19:05

Have you searched trees at top of page to see if anyone else is researching the same family. Good luck

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 22 Jun 2013 19:10

Thank you Mark. Good tip as I hadn't, but have now and sadly, no luck.

Mike *

Mike * Report 22 Jun 2013 19:27

Name: John Rozzel

Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Lennox
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 11 Dec 1853
Event Place: St. Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father's Name: Lawrence Rozzel <<<<<<<
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Charles Lennox
Marital Status: Single
:
Spouse's Marital Status: Single

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 22 Jun 2013 19:36

Wow Mark! Thank you so much for this. I thought I'd found everything that was available in England and then you turn up something new. On my tree, I have this John as son of Robert my Great x 3 Grandfather! Your help is very much appreciated.
Regards from Lynn.

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 22 Jun 2013 20:20

Message for Mark. Have revisited my tree and now am thoroughly confused. I have a marriage between John Rozzel and Elizabeth Cheshire Oct-Dec 1853 fathers name Robert Rozzell. Could it be possible that both Robert and Lawrence each had a son named John who both married women called Elizabeth in the same time period??!! All seems very odd.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Jun 2013 21:22

Hello Lynn,

Looking at freebmd, I was surprised to see just how many Rozzell's have been registered since 1837. It looks as though your Lawrence died in 1865.

There is only one marriage listed between 1845 - 1860 for a John Rozzell and an Elizabeth - and that is the one you have.

Loughborough, West Derby and Portsea seem to have pockets of those with the name but, there are others from many different parts of the country.

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 22 Jun 2013 21:44

Hello Cynthia,

I believe you've helped me before, so thank you once again, especially for clarifying the John/Elizabeth marriage. I'm not clear now how I got this wrong. What I'm finding very confusing is that John Rozzell born in 1833 is definitely recorded as the son of Robert Rozzell, so I can't figure out why his father would be named as Lawrence on his marriage to Elizabeth Lennox.
I'll take a look at freebmd to check out the Rozzells. I suspect that I may have most of the post 1837 ones but just can't find the information I need on those born in Ireland.

Kind regards
Lynn