Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gethen, Ann Veronica (Florida Marriage)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 19 Jun 2013 15:00

I know Ann Veronica married in Hillsboro, Florida in 1945 and have two reference numbers from the Florida Marriage Lists (1012; 21392) but sadly there seems to be no way to cross reference to discover her spouse. If anyone has Florida marriage lists and is able to cross reference those details I'd be very appreciative.
Many thanks,
Roy

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jun 2013 17:04

Sorry, Roy, can't help with your query but if you add Florida marriage to your title, it might be more likely to attract somebody with the info you are after.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jun 2013 18:23

??
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Ann Veronica Gethen
Name: Ann Veronica Gethen
Arrival Date: 14 Jul 1941
Birth Date: abt 1918
Birth Location: England
Birth Location Other: markyate
Ethnicity/ Nationality: English
Friend's Name: Chas Lee
Port of Departure: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Argentino
Search Ship Database: Search the Argentino in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

not seeing a Chas Lee on the ships mainfest

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2013 18:59

There are different numbers on this transcription

Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 about Ann Veronica Gethen

: Ann Veronica Gethen
County of Marriage: Hillsborough
Volume: 1005
Certificate: 17954
Source: Florida Department of Health

The transcription matches the image.

There are no obvious results from a reverse lookup using those Volume and page numbers.

However, using the ones given in your Post, there is

Name: Harold M. Gettins
County of Marriage: Hillsborough
Volume: 1012
Certificate: 21392
Source: Florida Department of Health

All rather odd as both bride and groom *ought* to have the same details

:-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2013 19:07

Would you know Ann Veronica's exact dob? We might be able to find her with a different surname on the U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 19:57

Re: the passenger list that Shirley posted - Chas Lee wouldn't be on the passenger list as that is who she was going to visit. He was at the Ambassador Hotel, NYC.

Ann Veronica was a model and her mother was Florence, 16 Ladbroke Square, London W11.

Could be her birth:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Sep 1917
Gethen Ann V Leonard H.Hempstead 3a 1248

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 19:59

On this she is just in transit on her way to Argentina:

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1954

Name: Ann Veronica Gethen
Arrival Date: Mar 1941
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ship Name: Baltrover
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Residence Country: England
Birth Date: abt 1918
Birth Country: England
Race/Nationality: English
Record Type: Manifests
Line Number: 12

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 20:14

I don't think she married Harold M Gettins.

Here he is in 1944, apparently living alone:

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989
Name: Harold M Gettins
Residence Year: 1944
Residence Place: Miami, Florida
Publication Title: Miami, Florida, City Directory, 1944

and in 1945 his wife is Thelma

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 about Harold M Gettins
Name: Harold M Gettins
Residence Year: 1945
Street Address: 397 NK 107th MShores
Residence Place: Miami, Florida
Spouse: Thelma Gettins
Publication Title: Miami, Florida, City Directory, 1945

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 20:16

The reason why there could be two reference numbers for the marriage is if they got the licence in one state and married in another (I think).

This is from the info about the collection on Ancestry:

"Information that may be found in this database includes:

Name of bride and/or groom
Marriage county*
Marriage date (can be just a year, or a month and year, etc.)
Marriage certificate number (only available for data from the Department of Health)
Volume number (only available for data from the Department of Health)

*In a few cases, a marriage will be listed twice, but in two different counties. This most often happened when a couple obtained a license in one county, but were actually married in another county. To provide additional research clues, this collection includes both entries."

and

"Copies of marriage records are available through the Florida Department of Health. They maintain marriage records beginning in January 1927. For information about how to obtain a copy, please visit their website (www.doh.state.fl.us). Records of marriages occurring before 1927 must be obtained from the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which the marriage license was issued.
Many of these marriages may also be available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. These microfilms can be loaned out to thousands of local Family History Centers throughout the world."

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2013 20:40

Interesting explaination MC re the differing numbers.

I agree that Harold m Martha (edit Thelma) ... and from memory divorced her in 1948!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 20:58

It's all rather odd. I noticed on the Florida records on Ancestry if you clicked the certificate number it gave the other person's name, when I clicked Ann Veronica's it was just her. Perhaps the records aren't all paired up yet.

I don't know much about US marriages, was wondering if each party had to get their own licence and this was just hers? Did her spouse get his elsewhere?

Think her exact date of birth is a must to progress further.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jun 2013 13:02

As Roy is a new poster, I will send him a friend message on how to return to this thread. :-)

Roy

Roy Report 20 Jun 2013 13:49

Hi Folks
Thanks to everyone who posted on this. I do have things like the UK birth info although at present no actual DoB and also the transit info. It's the marriage that will hopefully help me take this forward. Guess I'll have to get a birth certificate and see if that helps progress things. Once again thanks for the help.
Roy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Jun 2013 18:52

Hi Roy - the birth certificate is definitely the way to go. Once you get it come back on this thread and give us the exact date of birth - we might then have a chance of finding a death record in her married name and working back from that.