Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing aliens who were arrested in WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hcek

Hcek Report 19 Jun 2013 02:39

My gt uncle, by marriage, Edmund Otto Wenderleng/Wenderling (b c1884 in Austria) was arrested in Glamorganshire, S Wales, at the beginning of WW1. Nothing further was heard of him. Is it possible to trace what happened to him?
Christine

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2013 04:29

have you tried Google??

It is amazing what you can find.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2013 04:36

are you sure of his age???

Two Public Family Trees on ancestry have his birth date as ca 1875.

A third has birth date of ca 1879

and a 4th has ca 1884.

All have him marrying Margaret Mary Elizabeth Ellis (or Margaret Elizabeth Mary Ellis) in 1908

One tree has his last 3 children born after the start of WW1 ..........

Georgina B Wenderling 1915 – 2003
Clementine Wenderling 1917 – 1920
Arthur Henry Wenderling 1921 – 1999

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2013 04:47

From Google, a reference to Rootschat has the information that Edmund Otto was sent to a concentration camp in Canada in 1914, and never returned to the UK, although one or more of his apparent children did return.

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jun 2013 06:58

Think those births are a bit off the mark - mmn Wenderling, not Ellis on the first two??

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jun 2013 07:07

More likely:

Births Jun 1912 (>99%)
Wenderling Lily M Ellis Cardiff 11a 976

Births Mar 1920 (>99%)
Wenderling Homer B L Ellis Cardiff 11a 1194

If the 1920/21 births are correct either he must have rerurned or Mrs Wenderling had a new partner
;-)

Hcek

Hcek Report 19 Jun 2013 11:48

Sorry, I have been away from my computer. Thank you for the responses to my query.
His wife, Margaret Ellis, was born in 1888. I'm unsure of the exact date of Emund's birth. Margaret did give birth to subsequent children, who were registered under her married name (as was the custom in those days) but they were by different partners.
The family never heard of Edmund after he was arrested as an alien. It would appear that your from Rootschat, information Silviain is probably the closest to the facts.
Thank you again for your input.
Christine

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jun 2013 13:11

Wonder who this chap is?

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name: Edmund Otto Wenderling
Year: 1936
County or Borough: Willesden
Ward or Division/Constituency: Willesden West
Street Address: 111 Hillside

At the same address is a Sarah Ellen Wenderling. Also an Anthony Ramshaw, but it may be flats.

EDIT:
He's at the same address through to the 1960s.

There's also an Edmund Stephen Wenderling in Willesden.

FURTHER EDIT:
I think the full name is Edmund Otto Stephen Wenderling for this chap. Struggling to find any other records for him and Sarah Ellen to eliminate them.

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jun 2013 17:18

Hi Marie

I discounted him earlier, he died in 1985, born in 1910 according to the death record so not our man. He was registered as Edmund Otto or Edmund S on the various ERs.

Married Sarah (H) Small in Willesden 1931.

Yes you are right, he appears to be Edmund Otto Stephen Wenderling - but where is his birth? The other earler Wenderling children don't appear on freebmd only those post 1911. Unusual as they had been married 3 years by 1911.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Jun 2013 18:48

Births Dec 1909 (>99%)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
WENERLING Edmund Otto S Cardiff 11a 500a

Chris :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2013 19:54

The younger Edmund is on several ER, and on a couple of Family Trees, as Edmund Otto Stephen.

He married Sarah Ellen Small.

a couple of trees show him as the son of Edmund Otto Wenderling and Margaret Ellis

I also saw a reference in one of the trees to Edmund Otto Wenderling the elder as Edmund Otto Stephen Wenderling

There seem to be several people who have this guy in their trees!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2013 19:57

The 1921 Canadian Census was released by Statistics Canada to the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) on June 1st, 2013

Hopefully, it will not be too long before it becomes available

IF Edmund stayed in Canada after WW1, this is the first chance we have to find out where he was living.

Hcek

Hcek Report 20 Jun 2013 00:09

Hello again,
Thank you all once again for your input.
You're right, Edmund Otto Stephen Wenderling was his son, and his sister was
b Jun 1912 Wenderling Lily M Ellis Cardiff 11a 976 freebmd.
Haven't been able to find Otto and Margaret in the 1911 census but will look out for the 1921 Canadian census to be made generally available.
Regards,
Christine

Flip

Flip Report 20 Jun 2013 05:19

Take a quick look at this thread, not related to your family, but see post on page 2 29th May.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1324681?page=1

Alisoun found the Glamorganshire archives really helpful and they found her grandfather's alien registration card (all foreigners were required to register at the outset of war). They may be able to help - contact details here:

http://www.glamro.gov.uk/Res%20&%20enq.html

Hcek

Hcek Report 20 Jun 2013 07:21

Thank you,Flip, for that useful information. I have sent an email to the Glamorganshire archives. Will let you know the out come.
Christine

Hcek

Hcek Report 29 Jun 2013 06:44

Hello again,
The Glamorganshire Archives were unable to help me in my quest. They only have a limited number of registration cards, issued at the time, in their collection.

They did, however, suggest that I contact the West Glamorganshire Archive Service at Swansea to check whether they had any pertinent archive record.
West Glamorgan Archive Service,Civic Centre,Oystermouth Road,Swansea"
SA1 3SN, Email: [email protected], Phone: 01792 636589.
Regretably, they had no relevant record.

The Glamorganshire Archive also said, "there are currently negotiations taking place for a further deposit of registration cards. You can check our online catalogue, Canfod, for up-to-date information on our collections."

Thank you all again for your input. Christine

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 29 Jun 2013 07:36

Christine, are any of the trees on Ancestry your's? There are some lovely photos on one of them.

Jude

Hcek

Hcek Report 29 Jun 2013 10:17

Hi Jude,

I did start one many years' ago but don't have any photos.

Christine

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 29 Jun 2013 12:35

I'll see if I can save them end email them

Jude