Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to discover my birth father.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 17 Jun 2013 20:34

My mother's maiden name was Edna Readhead, born in Lanchester Co. Durham in 1922. I was born in October 1939 as a result of a liason between her and an unknown man. Family "legend" has it that he was a drummer and that she met him whilst he was performing at the Rex Hotel in Whitley Bay as a member of a band called "The Lord High Dispensers of Rythm", leader Charlie Mann. He was supposedly married and somewhat older than Edna.

I was later adopted into another branch of the family.

I have no other information regarding my birth father, and I am posting this in the hope that someone might possibly know anything that could help me discover his identity.

Many thanks,

Keith Redhead.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Jun 2013 20:45

So you didn't get any response to your ad in the Whitley Bay Guardian, then?

(Found it on Google, live spitting distance of the Rex).

Nothing coming up for a band of that name.

EDIT: See you had a previous query on here:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1172409

I guess you've contacted the Rex?

Keith

Keith Report 17 Jun 2013 21:13

Hi MarieCeleste -

Yes, I actually did get a reply to my add in the W. Bay Guardian and the writer supplied me with a name of a person who appeared to tick all the boxes, so to speak, and put me in touch with a relative who might have been my cousin. Unfortunately, a subsequent autosomnal DNA test showed that there was only a 30% probability that we were related as against a 70% probability against. So I'm still looking!

Keith.