Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maria

maria Report 15 Jun 2013 12:04

I have an ancestor - joseph Spurr born in Hoveringham , Nottinghamshire in 1773. Can only find a marriage record to a Catherine Davidson. I cannot find a parent for him at all or Catherines birthdate.
Would there be a census for this time?
Hoveringham in the mid 1700s only had 300 odd residents apparently

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 15 Jun 2013 12:21

Maria

There will not be any census records for those dates, the first census was 1841.

Have you looked on the Family search site?, this shows up

Name: Joseph Spur
Christening Date: 10 Mar 1775
Christening Place: EAST BRIDGFORD,NOTTINGHAM,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Joseph Spur
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05539-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 462987, 503478, 504060, 504069, 504085
Reference ID:

Now I know it states christened in East Bridgford but Hoveringham is just down the road from there, so might be him

George

link to family search

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWHC-872

Potty

Potty Report 15 Jun 2013 12:21

The first census of any use was in 1841 - before this there were just head counts. How have you got back to Joseph?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Jun 2013 12:28

Could this possibly be your Catherine?

DAVINSON, Catherina Christening
Birth Date: 15 Oct 1777
Christening Date: 19 Oct 1777 Recorded in: Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire, England
Collection: BTs
Father: Samuel DAVINSON
Mother: Ann
Source: FHL Film 503500 Dates: 1745 - 1806

maria

maria Report 15 Jun 2013 12:47

Thanks George - yes on my many searches (going round in circles) I did find Joseph Spur on the family search site.... But there is only one 'r' on this Spurr (error?) I didnt realise East Bridgford was close to Hoveringham!
I got my information on birth date for Joseph Spurr from his marriage document on the I think hoveringham parish searches.
I am new to all of this ancestry so I am a bit lost at times!
Also I have my Joseph Spurr born in 1773 - would they wait two years to christen him in those days?
I have found out that the church in Hoveringham had a flood/fire in 1700s so a lot of records were lost.
Thanks Margee - Catherine you have posted sounds right!

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jun 2013 13:52

Spelling was not a major priority back then when most names were simply written down as they sounded. Not everyone was literate so many variations are the norm.

maria

maria Report 16 Jun 2013 06:38

Mike - you are absolutely right - have just managed to look at east bridgfords records - the name "spurr' changed a few times from 'spurr' to spur and back again - as the parents of both spellings were the same.....now just to decipher if they are my ancestors!!!

maria

maria Report 30 Jun 2013 10:06

As on the above......could it have taken up to 2 years back in the day for a christening to take place? I know it can nowadays - but could this have been the norm then?I am trying to tie in Joseph spurrs possible birthdate to east bridgford....On his marriage to catherine it says he was born in 1773 (married in Hoveringham)
I have their son as a John Spurr born in 1798... can anyone see if any more children were born to them?

maria

maria Report 30 Jun 2013 10:58

I think I have found my 'catherine' - catherine davidson - christening 26 th june 1772 - winkbourne nottm - winkbourne is very near hoveringham...and the spelling of catherines surname is the same as on her marriage to Joseph!