Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriages being attributed to William G Thompson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Jun 2013 14:34

I am that :-S I am not sure where to start, so here goes, I have a William G Thompson in my tree and have established on Scotlands People that he is a son of David Thompson and Jean Wotherspoon:-

06/07/1806 THOMSON WILLIAM DAVID THOMSON/JEAN WOTHERSPOON FR201 (FR201) M OLD MONKLAND OR COATBRIDGE /LANARK 652/00 0010 0236

I believe that this is his marriage but because Scotlands People does not give details of parents on records before 1855 I cannot say for definite say this correct:-

08/03/1831 THOMSON WILLIAM ELIZABETH MACAULAY/FR169 (FR169) M KILCHOMAN/ARGYLL 540/00 0010 0317

If this marriage is correct this would be their child and on Scotlands People this is the only child born to them between 1830-1840:-

26/02/1832 THOMSON DAVID WILLIAM THOMSON/ELIZABETH MCAULAY FR72 (FR72) M KILCHOMAN/ARGYLL 540/00 0010 0128

Now I come to the crux of my problem, if I have the correct William G Thompson then it appears that he died on 05/12/1876 in South Bountiful, Davis, Utah, in the United States, that said there is a vast amount of information around, mainly on Familysearch.org, about William G Thompson, and several suggest he was also married at some point to a Mary Ann Hales :-S

Can anyone assist me with this please because so far I have been unable to find any record of this marriage on Scotlands People, I actually have doubts about this marriage, and to be honest, I am totally :-S and out of my depth in trying to make sense of most of the information that is being bandied around.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jun 2013 14:41

Hi.
I can't help directly, but do you mind if I make a suggestion? It might help if you say how you have worked your way back to William Thompson in the first place. What you have put gives the impression that you are unsure of both his parents and his marriage, but you must have come by him somehow!
Jan

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 3 Jun 2013 14:52

I often resort to statutory death searches in SP. It's probable that someone born from 1800 onward would make it to 1855. After that date (more or less) the death records often show the parent names. By carefully using the SP search engine you should be able to narrow down the results. The problem is that on SP you'd have to pay to view all the results...expensive.

I make and print out lists of relevant deaths then when visiting Edinburgh check the certificates. You can get through hundreds in a day and there's no charge above the 15 pound day fee.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Jun 2013 15:09

brummiejan, perhaps my post may have been misleading, and I am in no doubt as to who his parents were.

I have this which is the extract from the Bountiful City Cemetery Records:-

Name: WILLIAM G THOMPSON
Birth: 6/26/1806 - LANGLONE, OLD MONKLAND, LANARK, SCOTLAND
Death: 12/5/1876
Relations
Father: David Thompson
Mother: Jean Wotherspoon
Burial Information
Burial: Bountiful City Cemetery, Bountiful, Davis, Utah, United States
Grave Location: A-6-12-4-B

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 15:26

1870 United States Federal Census about Wm G Thompson
Name: Wm G Thompson
Age in 1870: 64
Birth Year: abt 1806
Birthplace: Scotland
Home in 1870: Bountiful, Davis, Utah Territory
Race: White
Post Office: Bountiful
Value of real estate: View Image
Household Members:
Name Age
Wm G Thompson 64

White /Male/Farmer.
No one else in household

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jun 2013 15:37

Have you any reason to suppose he married at all?
Jan

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 15:38

James,

I am looking at this family on US census data from 1850 onwards.

1850 United States Federal Census about Mary A Thompson
Name: Mary A Thompson
[Mary Ann Hales]
Birth Year: abt 1799
Birthplace: England
Home in 1850: Decatur, Iowa
Family Number: 39
Household Members:
Name Age
William Thompson 46
Mary A Thompson 51
Daniel Thompson 17 b Canada
David Thompson 19 B Scotland
William Thompson 15 b Canada
Maria Thompson 12 b Missouri
Orville Thompson 9 b IIllinois

1860 United States Federal Census about Orvil Thompson
Name: Orvil Thompson
Age in 1860: 19
Birth Year: abt 1841
Birthplace: Illinois
Home in 1860: Bountiful, Davis, Utah Territory
Post Office: Stoker
Value of real estate: View Image
Household Members:
Name Age
Wm G Thompson 54
Orvil Thompson 19

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Jun 2013 15:58

Thanks Anne, I think the David Thompson 19 B Scotland in the 1850 United States Federal Census must be the David Thompson born on 08/03/1831 in Scotland to William G Thompson and Elizabeth Macaulay - so I now need to try and see what happened to Elizabeth Macaulay and then try and find out when and where Mary Ann Hales came into the picture.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Jun 2013 16:00

Jan I have details of his marriage to an Elizabeth Macaulay

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 3 Jun 2013 16:03

Will catch up on this tomorrow, time for me to take a rest, thanks to all, take care :-)

Jim

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 16:56

James,
Can I ask why you think that the William who married Elizabeth McAuley in Kilchoman was the son of David Thomson and Jean Wotherspoon?

How does a Lanarkshire born man end up on the Isle of Islay?

Anne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jun 2013 17:34

I suppose that's what I was trying to say Anne, in my own roundabout way, but you have done so clearly! It did strike me that there must be quite a few William G. Thom(p)sons born in Scotland?
Jan

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 18:23

I would like to try and uderstand this:Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1848 about William Thompson
Name: William Thompson
Relationship to Primary Person: Self (Head)
Father: David Thompson
[David Thomson]
Mother: Jean Weatherspoon
[Gean Weatherspoon]
Birth Date: 16 Jun 1806
Alternate Birth Dates: Jun 10, 1806
Birth Place: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Marriage Date: 8 Mar 1831
Marriage Place: Argylshire, Scotland
Death Date: 5 Dec 1876
Death Place: Bountiful, Davis, Utah, USA
Alternate Death Places: Bountiful, Davis, Utah, USA Utah, USA
Residences: Bountiful, Davis, Utah, USA; 1860
LDS Church Ordinance Data: Baptism Date: July 1836 Officiator: Orson Hyde Ordained High Priest Date: December 30, 1860 Officiator: Samuel W. Richards
LDS Temple Ordinance Data: Endowment Date: May 2, 1856 Endowment Date: June 22, 1892 Sealed to Spouse Date: November 3, 1869 Temple: Endowment House, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Vocations: Farmer; 1860
Comments: In 1860, William had a household of 2, a real wealth of $500, and apersonal wealth of $230. Comments: #21. William was a member of the Nauvoo 1st Ward.
Household Members:
Name Relation
William Thompson Self (Head)
David Thompson Child
Daniel Thompson Child
William Thompson Child
Maria Thompson Child
Orvil Thompson Child
Eliza Jane Thompson Child

This was not a Posthumous Baptism!
William Thomson was baptised within the LDS in 1836... Where? Missouri?

According to the census data, his 2nd and third children were born in Canada
The other children were born in Missouri and Illinois.
He was ordained and sealed to his spouse before his death but who was the spouse?

If he had an LDS baptisim in 1836, we would need to assume that HE provided his parents names, but this date is extremely early in LDS history.
The LDS moved to Missouri around this time which also ads a bit of credence to this info.

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Jun 2013 19:21

1850 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZ4D-S73 with image link
1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MNCR-GVQ with image link

Magnify 4 clicks, then save image
1860 http://archive.org/stream/populationschedu1313unix#page/n344/mode/1up

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=19365662
[can click on other photos, and the memorial tab with its links]

William G Thompson
Birth: Jun. 26, 1806
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death: Dec. 5, 1876
Bountiful
Davis County
Utah, USA
Son of David and Jean Wotherspoon Thomson.
Husband of Elizabeth McAuley.
Father of Maria Thompson Hatch.
Family links:
Spouses:
Mary Ann Hales (1798 - 1851)*
Elizabeth McCauley Thompson (1810 - 1845)*
Children:
Daniel Thompson (1834 - 1912)*
*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Bountiful Memorial Park
Bountiful
Davis County
Utah, USA
Plot: A-6-12-4-B

EDIT The earliest census I know of that covers Markham Twp, then in Northumberland district, is the Upper Canada 1842 - so by then they're in the US. The US 1840 just names the head of h/h, and counts in various age*sex categories of h/h members - it's hard to identify families that move around, and, usually, not very helpful if you do locate them.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jun 2013 20:47

? Mary Ann Hales--------William Thomson,marriage entry--1810--1934,

Adam, Illinois,

no dates given,no other names given.

familysearch.org.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 21:39

I had a look on Ancestry and there is a tree with detailed info.
It contains transcribed letters written by William, and the transcriber says they are addressed to his parents.
I will PM or email these to James.

In one letter William writes about the the birth and death of youngest child ( a daughter) and informs them of the death his wife in Illinois, but he doesn't name her.
However, his wife died in 1845 ( fell down stairs) and it must be Elizabeth as his wife is Mary A on the 1850 return.

I am guessing that his parents must still have been living in Scotland at the time and should at least be found on an 1841 return?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jun 2013 23:17

I have PM'd the transcripts to James and I assume that these are the parents in 1841.1841 Scotland Census about David Thomson
Name: David Thomson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Where born: Scotland
Civil Parish: Shettleston
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Cranhill
Parish Number: 622
Household Members:
Name Age
David Thomson 60
Jean Thomson 60
Robert Thomson 25 ***
Alexander Fraser 35

*** Robert is mentioned in one of the letters

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Jun 2013 08:00

Anne (GlasgowLass) - Thanks for all that information and the letters, very interesting

Malcolm (mgnv) - Thanks for that information and the links

& Kay (Kay????) - Thanks for that

Looks like I am on the right track, this morning I looked for a marriage on Familysearch.org for Mary Ann Hales, Event: Marriage, Place: United States, Event Range: 1845-1855, Spouse Name: William G Thompson in Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource File and found this, in total my search produced 10 results and several of these suggest that Mary Ann Hales had been married to a Stephen Hales before she married William G Thompson.

International Genealogical Index (IGI)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9M2Y-VYZ&view=basic

name: William G. Thompson
birth: 26 June 1806
Langlone, Old Munkland, Lanark, Scotland
death:
marriage: about 1847
Iowa
Marriages (1)
spouse: Mary Ann Hales
marriage: about 1847
Iowa
Submitted By (2)

unknown38379
cshardisty66634

Citing This Record
"International Genealogical Index (IGI)", database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9M2Y-VYZ : accessed 2013-06-04), entry for William G. Thompson.

I have also found this which gives much information about Mary Ann Hales, her family, and her first husband:-

http://www.myfamilysearch.net/getperson.php?personID=I1821&tree=2005217a

Jim

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 5 Jun 2013 16:04

Just to an update everyone on this one, I think, and hope, that I have managed to do all the relevant updates to my tree for William G Thompson the son of David Thomson and Jean Wotherspoon, his two wives Elizabeth McCauley & Mary Ann Hales plus the various children, not easy with my sight problems but got there - so a big thank you to everyone for your assistance <3

That means, thanks to your help I have now managed to sort out 4 of the siblings of Jean Wotherspoon, looking at the 3 that I have still to sort out, they look as they will also be quite a challenge.