Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death cert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 1 Jun 2013 17:07

Did you have to have to produce a death cert. in 1916 to prove your 1st husband had died?I have a marriage cert.for Isabella Rylance stating she was a widow when she married Charles Currie,but her 1st husband Edwin Rylance does not seemed to have until died until 1944. :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jun 2013 17:55

you already have a thread asking the same

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1325726

Sophie

Sophie Report 1 Jun 2013 17:57

It could happen, i know the exact same occurance has happened in part of my tree. In my case the couple probably didnt get on and seperated without divorcing...they both went on to other partners and have children...and declare themselves married to that person ...even thou they wernt and were already married by law to the first partner.....alot of people use to lie and fib in them days when it came to filling out records etc....

jax

jax Report 1 Jun 2013 18:00

Looks like a case of double clicking

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 1 Jun 2013 20:06

Some used to wait about 7 years before marrying but children born before. Even the birth certs sometimes gave no inkling the parents weren't legally married

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Jun 2013 01:24

I was researching my family in Australia when I found a news article relating to the parents of a spouse who married my relative.
As a young child, her fisherman father vanished whilst working away from home.
He was presumed to have drowned and was eventually declared dead.
His widow later remarried.
32 years after his disappearance... the dead husband decided to return home.
The courts immediately granted his ex wife a divorce, but it meant that her 2nd marriage wasn't legal.
One week later she was remarried to husband No2

Louise

Louise Report 2 Jun 2013 19:12

Thank you all for your input.