Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth Pristmore bc 1721

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

applebygypsy

applebygypsy Report 30 May 2013 15:44

I have a record of a John Newton marrying an Elizabeth Pristmore at Donington, Lincolnshire on 29 Mar 1744. Because most of my family originate from Donington these people could be my relatives [possible my 4 x GF] but I have been unable to find out anymore on them. The surname of Pristmore I have been unable to find any other record of it anywhere in the United Kingdom. Can someone please help me with this delema? :-(

Applebygypsy [James]

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 May 2013 15:49

I'm only seeing Pridmore's in Lincolnshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 May 2013 15:52

the only Pristmore's I can find anywhere in the world are in Cherokee, South Carolina

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 May 2013 15:54

when I search the web this is the only mention of Pristmore I can find

The National Archives | Access to Archives
Lands and Pristmore Mead, Churcham, 1749; draft schedule of messuages etc belonging to Charles Evans of Minsterworth (for redemption of land tax), n.d.; ...
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/?records.aspx?cat=040-d... - Cached
More results from nationalarchives.gov.uk ยป

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2013 15:56

Which child of the union do you relate to?

If you think they're your direct line, you obviously descend from one of their children......

Use that info to work backwards.......................

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2013 15:56

Which child of the union do you relate to?

If you think they're your direct line, you obviously descend from one of their children......

Use that info to work backwards.......................

applebygypsy

applebygypsy Report 30 May 2013 16:02

Hi AnnCardiff,

I did look at alternative spellings of the name. The only similar one I could find was Elizabeth Pridmore baptised 22 Dec 1723 St Mary Le Strand, Westminster. She was actually born 6 Dec 1723 and her parents were Abraham and Elizabeth Pridmore. A strange coincidence is one of my relatives Alice Grundy Hine [nee Newton] died at St Martin Le Strand London 13 Nov 1931 of a perforated gastric ulcer, whilst she was on holiday from her home in Macclesfield, Cheshire. Spooky :-S

Applebygypsy

applebygypsy

applebygypsy Report 30 May 2013 17:10

Hi Reggie,

I think the union is similar to the following:

John Newton born 16 Aug 1788 to John and Elizabeth Newton [nee unknown] of Donington, Lincs. John Newton the father believed to have been baptised 27 Jul 1755 at Donington, Lincs. This John is the son of a John and Elizabeth Newton of Donington, Lincs. That would put his father in the area of birth circa 1735. Possible second marriage of a John Newton [widower] to Elizabeth Osbond 30 Jul 1780 at Moulton near Spalding. This is why I think the marriage of John Newton to Elizabeth Pristmore on 29 Mar 1744 is probably connected to me. All my family up to my GF were born in Donington, Lincs.

Applebygypsy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 May 2013 11:52

Last name: Pridmore
This interesting name is of Medieval English origin and is locational from a so called 'lost' village, likely to have once been situated in Northamptonshire, which is suggested by the fact that there are numerous recordings of this surname in that county. The derivation is from the Welsh 'Pridd', meaning earth, soil and the Old English pre 7th Century 'mor', waste upland. The phenomenon of the 'lost' village was a result of enforced land clearance in the 12th and 13th Centuries to make way for sheep pasture, as well as the more natural causes such as plague, and war. These dispossed people, along with those seeking work farther afield, would often adopt the village name as a means of identification, thus resulting in a wide dispersal of the name. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Erasnus Pridmore, marriage to Elizabeth Mears, which was dated February 2nd 1641, St. Nicholas, Cole Abbey, London, during the reign of King Charles 1, 'The Martyr', 1625-1649. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Pridmore#ixzz2Urlgu9YL

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 May 2013 11:54

The following names have similar spellings or pronunciations as PRIDMORE.

This does not necessarily imply a direct relationship between the names, but may indicate names that could be mistaken for this one when written down or misheard.

The most likely matches are shown first.

PRIGMORE PADMORE PARAMORE PATMORE SKIDMORE PODMORE PARRAMORE GILMORE PASSMORE PRIDMORE CUDMORE CRICKMORE PRIDE PORTNER PRIOR PRIMMER PRIME PALMORE WHITMORE PRIDEMORE PREDMORE PRIMROSE WOODMORE WILMORE TREMORE PRIMO PRIMOS TIDMORE PRIODE RUMORE RAYMORE PRIORE PRIMER PRETTNER DISMORE DITMORE GRISMORE ISIDORE LAIRMORE LARIMORE CRANMORE PARTHEMER PARTHEMORE PHILMORE POERTNER POLIDORE FILMORE DILMORE

PRIDMORE: Surname Data Summary | British Surnames, Surname ...
British Surname Profiles - find the origin and geographic distribution of your surname, see your surname in the 1881 census and discuss your surname in the forum
www.britishsurnames.co.uk/surnames/?PRIDMORE - Cached

applebygypsy

applebygypsy Report 1 Jun 2013 00:39

Hi AnnCardiff,

Many thanks for your help with the origin of the name plus the most likely matches to that surname. I honestly did not thing there were so many. Once again many thanks.

Applebygypsy :-)