Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Male Donoghue

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iris

Iris Report 23 May 2013 22:05

Could somebody tell me if a baby is stillborn do they just have a death certificate but not a birth certificate. Also is their death entered onto the 'ordinary' death list or is there a special one for these sorts of instances?

Thanks.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 May 2013 22:08

Since the mid-1920's there has been a separate register of stillbirths.

It is not open to public view.

One assumes you mean England/Wales...........you haven't given any indication of location

Iris

Iris Report 23 May 2013 22:17

Yes it is England, London to be precise. Thanks for your help. It would be nice to access it!

Regards

Iris

Mike *

Mike * Report 23 May 2013 22:17

My son-in-law was recently able to obtain a stillborn certifcate for his own twin but it was a drawn out process

Iris

Iris Report 23 May 2013 22:21

My husband has been told that he had an elder brother who he didn't know anything about; he was wondering whether he had a name and what date he was born. He does know the reason why he was stillborn that's about it.

His parents never ever spoke about it and it came as a terrible shock to find out soon after both his parents had died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 May 2013 22:22

For obvious reasons, strict rules apply about who can see these records.........

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 May 2013 00:31

From this website:
http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/People%20and%20Living/marriages/births/Still-Birth.aspx

How can I obtain a certificate for an historic stillbirth entry?

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a copy of a stillbirth entry differs from other types of certificates. Apart from very recent events, the General Register Office holds records of all stillbirths registered in England and Wales since 1 July 1927. Certified copies of these records can only be obtained with the registrar general's consent. The following conditions apply:

A certificate will only be issued to the mother or father of a stillborn child.
Siblings may apply if their mother and father are no longer alive.

They should send details of their parents' dates of death with their application Stillbirth certificates can only be obtained from the General Register Office in Southport.

If you want more information:

General Register Office
PO Box 2, Southport
Merseyside
PR8 2WJ
Tel: 0151 4714400

Penny

Penny Report 25 May 2013 08:15

Answering your question...
Still births dont have either a birth or a death cert. they have one cert, and its a still birth registration.
If you have found a death registration, then there will be a corresponding birth one - and if there is, then they were not still born. They may have only lived a few mins, but if they did, then they were born and then died.

To be a stillborn, no breath is taken.

Iris

Iris Report 1 Aug 2013 15:57

Thank you for all your help; I have got the stillbirth certificate and we now have a date and place of birth.

Regards

Iris:-)