Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger/Immigration Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynette

Lynette Report 18 May 2013 00:06

I am trying to find when Lulu Turk (born c1886)and Charles Bashara Abdullah (born c1881) (possible surname was Ganham/Gannam before changing to Abdullah) came to Australia from Beirut/Zahle, Lebanon in late 1800's. Lulu and Charles married in the Catholic Cathedral, Melbourne, Victoria c1903.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 May 2013 08:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_topics/thread/1205207

(was above related)

Chris :)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

(not sure if anything in Newspapers above)

Gee

Gee Report 18 May 2013 09:21

Alternative spellings

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Lily Terk
Spouse Name: Abdullah Bastiar Ganem
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1910
Registration number: 1277

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Bachara Abdullah Ganem
Spouse Name: Lily Terk
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1910
Registration number: 1277

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 May 2013 09:36

Could be Gins, as Lynette has that as an alternate spelling on her other thread.

Lynette

Lynette Report 18 May 2013 23:55

Gins.....Thank you for your reply.... the marriage entry looks like the right one and now I know the correct spelling of Charles' original surname. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Lynette

Lynette Report 19 May 2013 00:03

Chris Ho.....Thank you for your reply...I have checked Trove as you suggested but with no luck......your input is much appreciated.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 May 2013 07:47

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

(comes up as match on above, with those Surnames)

Chris :)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 27 May 2013 10:24

FYI both show birthplace as Syria on marriage cert.

You can order it for A$20 if you get an uncertified image ;-)

Electoral rolls show Charles Bashara ABDULLAH in NSW...his death:
8387/1959 ABDULLAH CHARLES BOSHARA / GANEM / TALGAR / SYDNEY
374/1961 ABDULLAH LULU / AGED 75 / MASCOT / SYDNEY

They had 2 daughters (at least):
Olga Mary b. 1910, m. Jack BORLAND 1936, d. 1980
Annie Veronica b. 1912, m. Thos Hy HOGAN, d. ?

Both married in Redfern district; births show mother as Louise, father Chas (born as ABDULLAH). Jack & Olga had a child they called Frankie.

WWII enlistment:
BORLAND JACK : Service Number - NX91902 : Date of birth - 09 Aug 1909 : Place of birth - ARMIDALE NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - BORLAND OLGA

Possibly a son John Joseph ABDULLAH?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 27 May 2013 10:26

There was also a Solomon GANIM and Mulhum GANIM (both male and married) living in Melbourne and Geelong around this time. They do show up on NLA Trove :-)

Solomon's marriage in Victoria in 1900 also shows his birthplace as Syria!

It appears there were 3 brothers in Geelong - Solomon, Mulhum and Selim, all sons of Faris GANIM and Rougina HADDAD.

Solomon died 1952 aged 77
Mulhum/Mulham died 1936 aged 67
Selim died 1937 aged 59

Gai

Gai Report 27 May 2013 11:40

Death Notice Sydney Morning Herald 7th May 1959.

Abdullah, Charles Bashara - May 6, 1959 at Prince Henry Hospital, of 93 Coward Street, Mascot. Dearly loved husband of Lulu Abdullah, loving father of John, Clara (Mrs Wholert), Martha (Mrs Goddard), Helen (Mrs T Hogan) , Olga (Mrs Borland) and fond grandfather of their children Aged 78 years.

Note: Address is no longer valid.

Death Notice Sydney Morning Herald 19th January 1961

Abdullah, Lulu - January 17, 1961 at her residence 93 Coward St, Mascot wife of Charles Bashara Abdullah, loving mother of John, Clara (Mrs Wholert), Martha (Mrs F Goddard), Helen (Mrs T Hogan), Olga (Mrs J Borland), dear mother in law of Betty, Frank, Thomas and Jack and fond nanna of their children. aged 75 years

Lynette

Lynette Report 27 May 2013 22:56

Hi Cherilyn
Thank you so much for all the information. It is interesting that their marriage certificate states their birthplace as Syria. So now I have their correct birthplace. Also, I didn't know about Olga's husband, Jack Borland serving in the AIF in World War II. I don't know if the Ganims are relatives so will do some checking on this branch of the family.
Kind Regards....Lyne

Lynette

Lynette Report 27 May 2013 22:58

Hi Gai
Thanks for the extracts from the newspapers. I appreciate your input.
Kind Regards....Lyne