Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking info Joseph Wright demise date/location

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lambert

Lambert Report 17 May 2013 11:27

Joseph Wright (Summary)

Date of birth 1830 Bury Lancs parents John and Betty Wright nee Wood later moving to Brinnington Stockport Cheshire, he married Harriet Marsland Dec.1849 at The Parish Church, Heaton Chapel Stockport. The 1851 census shows Joseph lodging with a family name of Vernon, Harriet at this time noted lodging with a family named Wolstenholme, Harriet's brother and his wife also lodging at this address in Cheadle Bulkeley Cheshire.
1858 shows Harriet as a widow and marrying a Joseph Long, noted on marr.cert 1858 at St James church Gorton Manchester, father stated as William Marsland.
A search through Oldham Archives by personnel gave no further info, Oldham being the district of the aforesaid church. prior to that date 1858, known facts also as follows in 1852 a child was born to Harriet and Joseph Wright and christened William (my great grandfather) he is later noted to in 1855 been baptised at St Michaels RC church Stockport Cheshire, godmother stated as a Mary-Ann Ryan.
I have certs. of all the aforementioned events and of the following i.e. William later married a Lucy-Jane Williams of Stockport they married St Phillips C of E, Manchester, he was at that time living in lodgings in Manchester with a family named Slack, William and his family later moving to Tyldesley Manchester the town where I was born and lived the first 12yrs of my life with my grandparents, my grandfather being the son of the aforementioned William!
Any help/enlightenment would be most appreciated!
Betty Battersby... Manchester

Fredk

Fredk Report 17 May 2013 11:57

Could this be Joseph's death

Deaths Dec 1857 (>99%)
Wright Joseph Stockport 8a 5

Fredk

Fredk Report 17 May 2013 12:06

For information

Marriage Record
Name Joseph Wright
Year of Marriage 1849
Quarter of Marriage Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District Stockport
Registration County Cheshire
Spouse's Surname Only available for records after 1912
Volume Number 19
Volume Page 281

Spouse Match

Joseph Wright married one of the people below:

Elizabeth CARRINGTON View
Harriet MARSLAND View
Sarah RICHARDSON View
Ann YATES View
Thomas GLEAVE View
Charles MARSH View
Samuel WARREN View

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 May 2013 18:41

Betty - this is really a methodology post, rather than a new info post.
You may well already know most of this - well, sorry abt that, and for the geekiness.

Much of Cheshire & Lancs is well-covered by online local BMD indexes - there's a more complete set of local index links at http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd
We're especially interested in:
http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Here's the lookup of 3 events mentioned in the initial post:

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1849
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
WRIGHT Joseph MARSLAND Harriet Heaton Norris, St Thomas Stockport ST7/1/443

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1852
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
WRIGHT William Stockport Second Stockport MARSLAND ST2/14/75

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1858
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
LONG * Joseph MARSLAND Harriet Gorton, St. James Manchester 56/1/54
LONG * Joseph WRIGHT Harriet Gorton, St. James Manchester 56/1/54

The last item of the ref (443, 71, 54 above) is either the entry # or the local page #.
Usually, the page # is used for B's & D's, and the entry # for M's, as is the case above.
Using the entry # for marrs enables a matchup showing who wed whom.
Tyldesley was in the Atherton subdistrict of Leigh RD, now part of Wigan & Leigh RD - they use the entry # for B's & D's as well as M's.
They also index by year of birth, rather than year of registration - this distinction only matters for births around Xmas, when a rego a couple of weeks later can put the birth and rego in difft years.
The local index doesn't have the same info as the GRO index - here we see the mum's maiden surname pre-1911q3, and it may give the age at death pre-1866.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
has pretty good coverage of Lancs (incl St George Tyldesley thru 1901 with burials thru 1938).

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
has several collections of interest, including various collections of Cheshire OPRs
FS has no images, but (with a sub) FMP (so presumably GR too) does - I think their images are only partly indexed, but you can browse all of them.

An unindexed collection at FS of potential nterest is:
England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004

The collection we're going to look at next is the diocese of Manchester OPRs. This collection is partly indexed - an indexed record is:
England, Lancashire, Ches...rish Registers, 1603-1910 > Lancashire > Gorton, St James > Marriages, 1838-1884 > Image 27 of 249
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VZK8-68P

The collection search screen has a "browse" option below the bit with boxes for search items.
This allows us to find:
England, Lancashire, Ches...rish Registers, 1603-1910 > Lancashire > Heaton Norris, St Thomas > Marriages, 1838-1850 > Image 222 of 250

Note that we know we want entry # 443 of this rego so, at 2 entries per page, we should expect to find this entry on image # 222, whichwe do (as I indicated in the path above).

The final point is Fredk's posted http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl hit:

Deaths Dec 1857 (>99%)

There are several potential local hits for this entry:
Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1857
WRIGHT Joseph - Nantwich Cheshire Central NA/10/049
WRIGHT Joseph 0 Altrincham Trafford ALT/11/42
WRIGHT Joseph 0 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/73

Maybe if I knew more abt Stockport, it'ld be obvious it's the Hyde entry I'm after, so by the age=0, it's not your guy, but we'll proceed for illustration.

Go back to the FreeBMD hit, and click on the page # to see:

Deaths Dec 1857 (>99%)
Bredbury Harriet Stockport 8a 5
Chadwick Sarah Stockport 8a 5
Clegg Emma Jane Stockport 8a 5
Johnston Mary Stockport 8a 5
Potts Martha Stockport 8a 5
Smith Frederick Stockport 8a 5
Warburton Ruth Stockport 8a 5
Wharam Alfred Stockport 8a 5

Now we do a local lookup of a few of the names here:
Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1857
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
BREDBURY Harriet 54 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/74
CLEGG Emma Jane 1 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/74
WARBURTON Ruth 0 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/75
WHARAM Alfred 0 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/74
[actually, I usually go lower down the search page, and do a search by surname initial]

It's now clear the Joseph we want is:
WRIGHT Joseph 0 Hyde Tameside HYD/18/73

The GRO page has 10 entries per page (one has evidently had its page # mistranscribed), and the local page has 5 entries per page, so we should get at least a couple of difft page #s represented. Here, as is usually the case, we see 3 pages represented - the local & GRO page #s are usually misaligned - after you've had 9000-ish births in previous quarters, it's pretty much a 20% chance this quarter will start at the top of a local page.

Lambert

Lambert Report 18 May 2013 13:23

Thanks to each and everyone for your input! Much appreciated.

Hi!
Comments noted, Tyldesle/Hindsford/Atherton and Leigh I am very much aware of re-my teenage years, re-geekiness, there's a lot of it about, we have granchildren full of it!

Cheers! BettyB Manchester

Lambert

Lambert Report 18 May 2013 13:25

Correction to previous i.e. Tyldesley reply had the Y missing