Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 16 May 2013 00:34

Hi
Has anyone here got access to Findmypast.ie, unfortunately im not working at the moment and am finding it difficult to pay for such sites.

I have noticed an entry that intrigues me regarding my great grand father William Simpson Allinson, William Simpson Allinson
Irish Marriages 1845-1958

Collections from
Ireland
Country
Ireland

Year
Registration District
Enniskillen

Spouse Forename
Emily
Spouse Surname
Colville

2nd Spouse Forename
Rebecca
2nd Spouse Surname
Connier

I have also found out from there that he was imprisoned for Bigamy in 1887 in Sligo Prison
Hope to hear from someone
Thank yuo so much
George

Thank you for a reply

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 May 2013 00:44

I posted the entry from Ancestry on another thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1324822

Will it be any different on FMP ?

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 May 2013 01:10

all it is on findmypast is the index the same as on ancestry. If you want full details of marriage you will need to order marriage cert or check rootsireland as they have some parish transcriptions.

edit: the marriage is on Rootsireland. If you purchase some credits, you will be able to see a transcription of the parish register, which usually contains both parents names and witnesses.

a clever way of searching on there without buying credits reveals he married: Emily Colville, but that is the only details I can get, by case of elimination from the same names that appear on the same index/page

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 May 2013 01:13

also if he was arrested for bigamy, it might be worth checking the local newspapers. I think here might be a good place to start: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

you could also try emailing the local library.

edit: I just looked at the prison record I presume you are referring to and appears there was a trial for which he was found guilty of bigamy, so I would at a guess say it was most likely to be covered by a newspaper.

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 May 2013 06:30

First Name:WM SIMPSON
Last Name:ALLINSON
Birth Date:1837
Name Type:Prisoner
Prison:SLIGO
County:SLIGO
Date Admitted:16-Nov-1887
Year:1887
Register Title:SLIGO PRISON GENERAL REGISTER 1883-1890
Collections from:Ireland
Category:Institutions & organisations
Record collection:Courts & legal
Record set:Irish Prison Registers 1790-1924

Image sent by PM

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 May 2013 09:44

there's also this on FMP

Irish Marriages 1845 - 1958

First Name:William Simpson
Last Name:Allinson
Year:1887
Registered Quarter/Year:Oct - Dec 1887
Registration District:Enniskillen
Volume:2
Page:66

Spouse Forename:Emily
Spouse Surname:Colville

2nd Spouse Forename:Rebecca
2nd Spouse Surname:Connier

3rd Spouse Forename:Ellen
3rd Spouse Surname:M'Fadden

4th Spouse Forename:Anne Jane
4th Spouse Surname:Nethercott

Record set:Irish Marriages 1845-1958
Category:Life Events (BMDs)
Record collection:Marriages & divorces
Collections from:Ireland

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 May 2013 10:17

Several associated threads on FA and Genealogy Chat, enough not to go through all to post connections.

George you can post on a previous thread asking for further information and it will bring that thread back to the top of the board.

Helpers are repeating already found information about this man and associated family. So much better to have the info all in one place, for you as well as those helping you.

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 12:36

Yes, I was looking for the thread I posted on but it seems to have vanished.

Ahh .. found it

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1324858

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 May 2013 12:47

Hello George - over on the left of these pages is a link called "My Threads" (under Tools).

That link takes you back to your previous threads to amend/update as described above.

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 13:10

You can also access My Threads by simply hovering over the Community tab , top of page and it shows in the dropdown menu