Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 UK CENSUS - MISSING ANCESTOR - MARY WRIGHT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 May 2013 00:56

Hello at genes reunited
I have tried everything I can think of to locate the 2nd wife of my Great grandfather on the 1891 census :-(
NAME: Mary Elizabeth WRIGHT
PARENTS: John and Jane WRIGHT- they were deceased back in the 1850's.
She had a sister Rosa WRIGHT who died 1857 and a brother Thomas George WRIGHT b. Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK 6 June 1844 - I have him on 1851 and 1861 (in 1861 he was a solicitor clerk).

Full timeline on her movements with all additional that might be of help are shown below

I have her on 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 - 1901 & 1911
..............................................................................................................................

1839 born 16 June Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK

1841 UK 1841 census - resided Village of Lower Chaddesley, Worcestershire, UK with parents

1851 UK 1851 census - resided Village of Lower Chaddesley, Worcestershire, UK with parents

1861 UK 1861 census – resided Village of Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK in home of Frederick Fitch & family – his occupation Grad. Physician - her occupation House servant in Fitch home.

1871 UK 1871 census – resided Village of Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK in home of Frederick Fitch & family – his occupation Genl. Practitioner - her occupation Nurse

1881 UK 1881 census resided Village of Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK in home of Frederick Fitch & family – his occupation Physician & Surgeon N.L. (?) St Andrews - her occupation Cook Domestic Servant
......................................................................................................................
1891 No information located (William Young who she was to marry in 1892 was at Kidderminster with housekeeper Mary Felton)
.......................................................................................................................

1892 married 21 April to William Young, widower, in Parish Church, Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire, UK (my widowed Great grandfather)

1892 widowed 13 July 1892 – husband William Young deceased

1901 UK 1901 census – Mary Eliz. Young resided 521 Coventry Rd, Aston, Birmingham “S” (could also mean widow) occupation Nurse/Housekeeper domestic - in dwelling with Annie Ellen Jennings, S, age 26, General servant domestic b. Hereford, Herefordshire, UK

1901 married December quarter to James Atkins (widr), Aston Birmingham, UK. James was previously m. to Susan Jennings Sep qtr. 1877 Kidderminster.

1911 UK 1911 census – residing at 57 Langley Rd., Small Heath, Birmingham, UK age 72 (married 10 years) with husband James Atkins age 57, Warehouseman B.L.A. Small Arms Factory, born Upton Warren, Worcestershire

1912 Mary ATKINS died 8 July 1912 Small Heath, Birmingham, UK

1922 James Atkins was still registered. Have not looked for death.

I would be thrilled if someone manages to find her.....

:-D

Barbara in Australia

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 May 2013 09:17

To summarise....................hope you don't mind

Looking for 1891 census ONLY

for Mary Elizabeth Wright born 1839 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 May 2013 09:19

Does she consistently record the stated birthplace on all censuses on which you have found her?

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 May 2013 10:20

Hi Reggie and thanks for your reply -
>>>Does she consistently record the stated birthplace on all censuses on which you have found her?

1841 - otp

Then for the other years she states either Chaddesley, Worcestershire OR Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire.

Hope that helps.
Barbara

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 May 2013 10:21

1841 says born Worcestershire 1839;
1851 says Chaddesley, c1840;
1861 " Chaddesley Corbett c1841;
1871 " Chaddesley c1841;
1881 " Chaddesley Corbett c1841;
1901 " Chaddesley c1843;

I can't find her or husband James in 1911.

EDIT:
Oh yes, I've got her.
Chaddesley Corbett c1839

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 May 2013 10:30

It was transcribed as ATHINS, I have added a postscript advising the correct name - it hasn't appeared online as yet.

NOTE: I was about to add that in 1841 it was the census for Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire and "whether born in county" was ticked Y.

Fingers still crossed.
Barb

Alemap

Alemap Report 9 May 2013 10:43

The Fitch family are missing too in 1891, could they have all gone abroad on holiday/clinic/spa , since Mrs Fitch died in 1892.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 May 2013 11:13

1891 (looks to be Fitch family!)
TICH, Frederick Head Married M 69 1822 General Practioner Registered
Ireland Queenstown
TICH, Eliza E Wife Married F 64 1827
Stoke Prior, Worcestershire
TICH, Charles D Son Single M 26 1865 General Practioners Registered
Chaddesley-Corbett, Worcestershire
HARWOOD, Hannah Servant Single F 34 1857 Domestic Servant Cook
Bidford, Warwickshire
MEACHAM, Elizabeth Servant Single F 22 1869 Domestic Servant Housemaid
Chaddesley-Corbett, Worcestershire
Piece: 2311
Folio: 6
Page: 6
Registration District: Kidderminster
Civil Parish: Chaddesley Corbett
Municipal Borough:
Address: Village, Chaddesley Corbett, Chaddesley-Corbett
County: Worcestershire

Chris :)

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 May 2013 13:10

Thanks Pam and Chris - I did have the FITCH family on 1891 - no Mary WRIGHT though.....
(Transcribed correctly as FITCH on ancestry so I knew she wasn't with them)

She kept in touch through the years though as the FITCH son Charles Dennis is shown to be one of Mary ATKINS' executors on the listing for her Probate (have sent for her Will but that doesn't tell me where she was in 1891 - well I don't expect it to).

Still keeping fingers crossed with all the new minds looking at this mystery :-)
Barbara

martynsue

martynsue Report 9 May 2013 18:18

hi barbara,
the only one i can find is ,

mary wright aged 50 yrs
57 guns lane,,
reg district-west brom,
west brom south west,
she is a boarder,
say's she was born 1841.
the head of the household is,
mary davis 1846,born dudley.
there is no birth place listed for mary wright.

west brom is only 30 mins away from chaddesley corbett,
not saying this is her but it is the only one i can find.

Barbara

Barbara Report 10 May 2013 12:56

Thanks Martyn
It could be a possibility - but following your suggestion have now checked the census' pre and post 1891 and there is a Mary Wright with family.
The 1891 (with no place of birth) states she is Married, so can't say for sure but looks to not be "my" Mary.
One day - maybe........
Thanks again - I will try not to give up :-|
Barb
www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com