Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth Gillender

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 5 Apr 2013 16:43

Trying to find information on Elizabeth from Yorkshire married to a Thomas Fergusson I know of one daughter Elizabeth she married a Henry Cowen in 1874 that is as much as I know so far . Thanking you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 16:45

What are you hoping to learn?

You haven't said...............

This is very familiar..............!!!!!!

I'm sure you've been asked before to give proper info when asking for help...so let's have some dates from you, please.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 16:46

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1321777

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 16:49

Are you going to get the 1874 marriage cert? You were advised to do so last month on the OTHER thread.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 16:54

You haven't even told us that Elizabeth (the daughter) was born in Sedgefield, Co. Durham, and in 1871 seems to have a mother named Margaret, unless, of course, the father had married twice.

Why do you think that marriage you found for Fergusson/Gillender relates to the parents of the girl who married in 1874? WHEN did it take place? ( I asked you the same question on 21st March)

If memory serves me right.............THIS is the line

Births Mar 1858 (>99%)

Ferguson Mary Maria Stockton 10a 104

The cert will tell you the names of both parents, and end all the uncertainty which surrounds this family

Brenda

Brenda Report 5 Apr 2013 17:03

I'm sorry I didn't know she was born in Sedgefield. And the only date I have is 1874 marriage of Elizabeth and Henry Cowen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 17:09

!!!!!!!!!!

Name: Thomas Ferguson
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 20 May 1803&***********************************************
Birthplace: ROBINSON LANE-NC AND SAINT GEORGES-NC,SUNDERLAND,DURHAM,ENGLAND
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Thomas Ferguson
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Gillender
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00279-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 91116
Reference ID:

This woman would NOT have been giving birth in the 1850's

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2013 17:10

Sorry, Brenda, but that isn't quite accurate

You were given a LOT of info on your other thread.

You really must take notice, and make notes, of what people go to the trouble of finding for you

Brenda

Brenda Report 5 Apr 2013 17:20

I m sorry I have come to the conclusion that I should just give up and let someone else have a go . Thanks for info and help .

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Apr 2013 19:55

Hello Brenda, there's no need to give up! It's just a case of taking the time to read and digest the information posted and to follow the advice given. It was mentioned quite a few times that you should get the 1874 marriage certificate so you can be 100% sure of the facts - it's the only way to do the research.

You can order copies of certificates from GRO - they cost £9.25
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The references you need were posted on your other thread but here they are

Marriages Sep 1874
Cowen Henry Northallerton 9d 779
FERGUSSON Elizabeth Northallerton 9d 779

Just a tip about using the boards - on the left hand side of these pages there's a link "My Threads", that takes you back to any thread that you've started or posted on. If you want to continue an enquiry then just add to the existing thread and it moves to the front of the boards so everyone can see it again. If there's more than one thread about a person/family then information gets duplicated and it gets very messy - that's why GR has the rule about only one thread per family.

Brenda

Brenda Report 5 Apr 2013 20:04

Thanks , but I don't think I have got the patients to do it and when I do find something I forget where I have found it .