Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 1 Apr 2013 19:11

Hi a friend from NZ as asked me to do a look up in the Bradford papers at the library
unfortunately the Bradford library has closed for refurbishment so i was wondering if any one has access to the Bradford Observer? 1824

What she is
looking for is....Newspaper for report on the arrest of William Dewhirst for the death of his son? 18th (or thereabout) November 1824
she would like to know what this incident is about the outcome and the name of the son.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2013 19:23

The only one I can find is in the Royal Cornwall Gazette, Sat 27 November 1824.

A man of that name, aged 35 and who's business had failed, was brought before Union Hall for beating his daughter Caroline to death.

(There's nothing to say the incident actually took place in Cornwall as that article is amongst items from Edinburgh, Bury and London.)

The child was 18 months old and the details are horrific.

EDIT: Have sent by pm

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2013 19:54

Found a further article in Leeds Intelligencer where surname spelled Dewhurst, have also forwarded.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2013 19:56

This must be relevant:

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892

Name: William Dewhirst
Date of Trial: Dec 1824
Trial Year: 1824
Location of Trial: Surrey, England
Sentence: Acquittal
Crime: Murder

Found not guilty (Insane)

Barry

Barry Report 1 Apr 2013 20:08

This looks promising will send this on ........thanks

Mary

Mary Report 1 Apr 2013 20:08

The above is also in The Times.

Says he was in Horsemonger Lane gaol Surrey,it doesn't name the child.

Maryb

Vicci

Vicci Report 1 Apr 2013 23:03

in the cornwall gazette child is named

"charged with the murder of his own child Caroline Dewhirst" aged about 1 1/2 years

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2013 23:05

Vicci, thanks for confirming what I posted.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Apr 2013 23:29

the Bury & Norwich Post also states it was the 18th Nov and he lived in the parish of St Mary Newington