Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTH CERTIFICATES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Mar 2013 16:33

Hi does anyone know what I P U means on section 1 of a Birth Certiicate. On my GG Grandfathers birth cert it gives date of March 1846 then says in same section IPU at Brawby. Brawby is in North Yorkshire. My GG Grandfathers Mother and Father were not married at the time of his birth. Alan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2013 16:43

I expect your local register office would be able to enlighten you

Mark

Mark Report 21 Mar 2013 16:53

Inter-Parliamentary Union

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Mar 2013 16:55

My son has just googled for me (he seems to be able to enter better search data than me) and has found a site which mentions this as meaning "In Patient Unit".

Perhaps the birth was at some sort of institution or workhouse?

Your best bet would be to ask at whichever Register Office you bought the certificate or at the GRO.

Kath. x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Mar 2013 17:03

Brawby is in the area covered by the Malton Poor Law Union

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Malton/

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2013 14:29

Thanks for replies. I think I need to ask GRO if they know, thanks again to those of you who sent a response - regards Alan