Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

resting place of a Stockley/Stockey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sammy79

Sammy79 Report 11 Mar 2013 14:27

Could anyone please help me??

Im trying to find where an ancester is buried, but keep going round in circles.

Joesph Stockley / Stockey was born in sept 1926 in the Barton area and died 8th April 2005 i believe in the Barton / Winton area he was buried on the 18th April 2005 in Eccles Crematorium.

He married Edna Knight, she was born 24th Sept 1927 (unsure where) and died Jan 1999 in Salford.
It is Edna i am trying to trace any info on.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Mar 2013 16:37

Have you thought about contacting Salford City Council about a look-up service?

http://www.salford.gov.uk/cemeteries.htm

It might help if you had her home address, just in case she was from an outlying area.

Have you contacted Eccles Crematorium in case Edna was also cremated there?

To try to research Edna Knight, its probably best to purchase the MC which at least would give you her father's name (if known) then you'd have to try find a marriage for him and look for 'Edna' births with the the wife's surname as mother's maiden name.

Joseph Stockey
[Jospeh Stockey]
Spouse Surname: Knight
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1949
Registration district: Barton
Inferred County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 445

Use the 'search all trees' function under the Search button to see if anyone else has the couple listed. If they do, you could send them a message to see if they have further information

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2013 17:11

Here's the birth of an Edna Knight, in Barton (per FreeBMD):

Births Dec 1927 (>99%)
Knight Edna Read Barton I. 8c 728

And a Knight/Read marriage in Barton, which might be her parents' marriage (also per FreeBMD):

Marriages Dec 1924 (>99%)
Knight Alexander Read Barton I. 8c 986
Read Emma Knight Barton I. 8c 986

And maybe Emma's birth:

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)
Read Emma Barton I. 8c 585

Maybe Alexander?:

Births Dec 1898 (>99%)
Knight Alexander Barton I. 8c 696

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2013 18:05

Are you only looking for burial details re Edna, or just any info?

Sammy79

Sammy79 Report 11 Mar 2013 18:19

Thank you all

Im searching for info on Edna but any info at all is very helpful.

I started researching my familys history in 2006 but due to family commitments i dont get much time to spend researching so im still learning.

I have tryed Eccles crem and im waiting for a lady to get in contact with me hopefully with details but that was awhile back now.

I will try Salford city counsel.

Penny

Penny Report 11 Mar 2013 19:26

If they were cremated it quite likely they were not buried - its usually one or the other.

My father was cremated and no one would know where his ashes went after they were collected from the crem

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Mar 2013 20:02

A cremation register would say Ashes collected on/by or Ashes Scattered and give a plot/area/section number.

I couldn't remember where my mums' were scattered within the Grounds, but as I had her date of service and death, the Crem staff were able to look her up in their records. It certainly saved the embarrassment wandering around with a member of staff and dads' ashes trying to work out exactly were they were!
;-)