Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors of John Lock b Dec'1779 in Norwich?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 8 Mar 2013 14:28

Some possible ancestors (but not proven):
Willyam (or William?) Locke (or Lock?) bc1647 (born where, Norwich?, favoured)
Samuell (or Samuel?) Locke (or Lock?) bc1640 (born where?)
William Lock b1671 in Norwich (favoured)
John Lock (or Locke?) b1671 in Norwich
John Lock b1679 in Norwich
Isaac Lock bc1712 (born where?)
John Lock bc1719 (born where?, favoured)
John Lock b1748 in Norwich (favoured)
John Lock b1750 in New Buckenham (SE of Attleborough)
John Lock b1755 in Norwich
Can anyone help with any evidence?

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Barry

Barry Report 8 Mar 2013 14:57

There are several trees on ancestry for this family ( perhaps one of them is yours) which may be worth viewing - all appear to have John 1779 parents as John Lock b 1748 and Elizabeth Cook b 1748 but the grandparents vary

You can view these trees on this free link

https://www.mundia.com/gb

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Mar 2013 15:08

Baptism
County Norfolk
Place Norwich
Church St Giles
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth 18 Dec 1779
BaptismDate 19 Dec 1779
Forename John
Sex M
FatherForename John
MotherForename Elizabeth
FatherSurname LOCK

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

(above link useful, Norfolk)

Chris :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2013 15:09

The County Records Office is the place to look for hard facts..........

Ancestry trees are not particularly reliable..........unless you find one which gives proven sources for the info included

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2013 15:12

The other post by Kenneth was in 2007, and did not attract any replies

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 9 Mar 2013 11:30

Thanks for all your responses. I'm aware of the sources you suggested. Yes, some of them were me.
Norfolk Record Office is some way from where I live in High Wycombe, requiring at least a couple of days away. I visited it early on in my researches, probably too soon after starting, and wasn't able to maximise my visit. I plan to revisit Norfolk some time.
I'm the author of a thesis on "Male Lock(e)s born in, south and west of the City of Norwich, Norfolk County, England during 16th to mid 19th century" (about 750), which I'm currently updating, and would be the first to acknowledge my information sources (trees, LDS, Ancestry and other websites) aren't particularly reliable, but I believe they provide opportunities to speculate and open up possible areas for further investigation. :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Mar 2013 20:07

Kenneth - re your LDS information sources - in particular:

England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
England, Norfolk Monumental Inscriptions, 1600-1900's
England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900
England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900
England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1844-1952
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

I'm surprised you think these aren't particularly reliable - or are you referring to your transcriptions of them, rather than the images themselves?

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 10 Mar 2013 08:35

In these cases, mainly the transcriptions but, for instance, the spelling and abbreviation of names in the original records can be inconsistent, like Lock and Locke, or Sar and Sarah etc.

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Mar 2013 03:14

Different times, I suppose.

There are 6 known signatures of William Shakespeare - and 5 differently spelled surnames. None of the signatures spell it as Shakespeare.

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 11 Mar 2013 11:51

Hi,

I recently did a partial search for a friend who's mother was a Locke. I did not get very far, but found and have found with other surnames that it depended on who wrote the document being looked at. Even within friends family there were Locks and Lockes. and it is not unusual to find Sara/Sarah...Francis becoming Fanny, and often people took their middle name..so discrepancies with spelling and ages are only to be expected. The Lockes/Locks I looked at came from near Great Yarmouth.

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 11 Mar 2013 18:04

I was rather hoping there may be someone out there who'd be able to help with some evidence to support my speculated ancestors listed in my first email above. The above responses have moved away from my reason for this thread.

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 12 Mar 2013 18:19

Sorreeeeee Kenneth, but you never know where info might lead too, especially when others have no idea where the family originated from. Have you tried seeing if those on your tree have a match elsewhere in Genes ? Also Gt.yarmouth not that far from Norwich and people did move more at that time to find work.