Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Address for Army Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

marston maid

marston maid Report 6 Mar 2013 12:25

Hi I would like to send for the Army Record of my great uncle but don't know the address can anyone help. Kind Regards Dannie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2013 12:34

Do you mean for WW2?

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

marston maid

marston maid Report 6 Mar 2013 12:36

Hi Sorry forgot to put WW1. Regards Dannie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2013 12:43

About 70% of WW1 records were lost during bombing in WW2

Put some details such as name, date of birth etc and they might be found on Ancestry

marston maid

marston maid Report 6 Mar 2013 12:47

Hi Glitterbaby I do know when and where he died also the regiment that he was in I was hoping that I could find out more about his service, such as when he joined and where else he served before the war. Kind Regards Dannie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2013 12:56

Post some details as his records might have survived and be found on Ancestry.

I only found the medal card for my grandfather so it is luck to find anything

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

marston maid

marston maid Report 6 Mar 2013 13:04

Hi Glitterbaby I was hoping that I would be able to send for his Army Record as this will give details of his height, hair and eye colour and any scars or tattoos that he may have had. The reason for this is that I have a couple of photo's, which came from his brother's family and was hoping having this information I might be able to find out if one of the photo's is of him. Kind Regards Dannie

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Mar 2013 14:47

As stated before only about 30% of all WW1 army records survive thanks to a german bomb in WW2.

And there is no rhyme or reason to those that have survived they are from all over the country, different regiemnts and parts thereof and different surname letters from A-Z.

As said before put his name and dob on here and those with Ancestry will do a quick look up for you.

Edzwife

Edzwife Report 6 Mar 2013 15:56

Hi , some years ago I sent for my fathers Army war records to clarify his time in army during ww2. Amonst the paperwork returned was this adress for officers and soldiers whose service ended before April 1922
The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4 DU

TEL 020 8876 3444
[email protected]

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2013 18:42

:-S

Just wondering why the poster will not give details so that a search can be made of the records on Ancestry.

If found they would give such details as height, colour of hair and eyes,tattoos etc.