Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ellen Mary WARD (or Mary Ellen) born 1905 to 1920

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 23 Oct 2012 18:29

I'm searching for relatives of a Ellen Mary Ward, possibly born in Bristol some time between 1905 and 1920.

I know she lived at 23 Park Grove, Henleaze in Bristol in 1934. Ellen was my mother's birth mother. We don't know her age in 1934 for sure, but we assume between 16 and 30.

The father was a Stanley Robert Norcott, but they were not married. We believe they met at work - he was an insurance agent, so we assume Ellen was a clerk or secretary. He was 35 years old at the time of mum's birth.

Mum was adopted about two years after the birth in a private adoption. We think this was arranged via Masonic connections. Doreen Norcott became Doreen Joan Bunton, and then Feber by marriage.

Mum would dearly love to know if she has any half brothers or sisters or other relatives on the Ward side. (She has been in touch with the Norcott side before, and would also like to get back in contact with them.)

We have always assumed that Ellen Ward was unmarried, and young. However, it could be that Ward was her married name? However there are so many Wards listed and Mary seems to be very common as a first name.

There's a Mary Ellen Ward, Daughter of Samuel & Mary Ward, born Bristol in October 1910 and on the 1911 census as living at 8 Cooperage Road, Redfield.

The only Ellen Mary Ward on the 1911 census was born in Leicester September 1910 to James and Mary Ward, living in 107 Barclay Street, Leicester. She's of interest because her father is an Insurance company superintendent... maybe when she grew up he got her a job in Bristol?

However, other records show a few Mary E Wards, and I'm pretty sure the Ellen Mary from Leicester crops up as Mary Ellen in some records.

Any help gratefully received!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Oct 2012 19:59

Connected thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1312964?jump=1312964

Ian

Ian Report 24 Oct 2012 14:14

Thanks to MarieCeleste for connecting these threads for me.

Still hopeful!

Ian

Ian

Ian Report 19 Aug 2014 19:11

For those that like a happy ending... (aaahhhh).

Mary Ellen Ward, Daughter of Samuel & Mary Ward, born Bristol in October 1910 and on the 1911 census as living at 8 Cooperage Road, Redfield is the right one!

Through the magic of the internet, I have now met Mary Ellen's Grandaughter and have spoken to Mary Ellen's daughter (who lives in Turkey). She is my mother's unknown half sister, (and may yet turn out to be a full sister!)

So to people looking, I say - don't give up. And do make sure you publish your family trees for all to see, as it was finding a match on a public tree that finally allowed me to make the connection.

:-D

Regards

Ian