Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Wilson 1849 - 1892 Born Holbrook Suffolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 18 Oct 2012 22:33

My Great Great Grandfather was a barge master on the River Medway in Maidstone Kent- he drowned falling off the barge going through East Farleigh Locks Maidstone 4-11-1892 body found 24-11-1892. I want to know more about him and the Barge "The Elizabeth" what he transported and circumstances of death. Can anyone help. I believe others close to him worked on barges.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Oct 2012 22:37

I would imagine that there would have been an inquest into his death and you should find newspaper reports giving details of the accident at the library closest to where the death occurred.

Is this his death record:-

Name: WILSON, Robert
Registration district: Maidstone
County: Kent
Year of registration: 1892
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death: 46
Volume no: 2A
Page no: 411

Kath. x

Derek

Derek Report 18 Oct 2012 22:41

Thanks Kath.

Will try that.
Derek

Derek

Derek Report 18 Oct 2012 22:44

Yes Kathleen, same man. Left quite a large family, so must have been a struggle for wife Elizabeth. My nan Kesiah was farmed out to others in family.

Derek

Vicci

Vicci Report 19 Oct 2012 05:16

a bit of history
http://www.medwaypilots.co.uk/page2.htm

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2012 11:48

guess you have him on previous census's .

just for our info the 1881

1881 England Census about Robert Wilson
Name: Robert Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Wilson
Where born: Holbrook, Suffolk, England
Civil parish: Maidstone
County/Island: Kent
Street Address: 2 Havock Place
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Maidstone
Sub-registration district: West Maidstone
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 927
Folio: 29
Page Number: 23
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Wilson 31
Elizabeth Wilson 28
Jesse James Paul Honey May Wilson 10
Robert John May Wilson 4
Thomas Wilson 2
Elizabeth Eliza Wilson

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 927; Folio: 29; Page: 23; GSU roll: 1341221.

doesnt give the Barge name

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2012 11:57

Interesting info re Barges

http://tsbtcharters.org/25.html

barbara

barbara Report 28 May 2015 17:08

I know it's a few years on but I wondered if you ever found the inquest report into Robert Wilsons drowning. It was published in the Maidstone and Kentish journal dated 29/11/1892. Quite a long piece and detailed, he was knocked down by the tiller, stood up & hit again going overboard. Had trouble swimming to shore then barge hit him again and he disappeared. His body wasn't found but after his wife's pleading they drew the river off, whatever that means, and his decomposing body was found close to the timber wharf. The body was covered with sand & it would never have been found if this last attempt wasn't made. A collection was made for the widow who had large family, they were my great great grandparents by their daughter Elizabeth Eliza Wilson.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 May 2015 18:05

Welcome to the boards, Barbara.

You noticed that's it's a few years since this thread was started, or last added to.
As Derek may not now be looking here for replies, you could try sending him a personal message - click on his name at the top of the first post.

If he still has the same email address, GenesReunited will notify him that he has a message from you.