Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing but must be somewhere.......UPDATE!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 19:31

HI all last ditch attempt looking for my great uncle JAMES CATCHPOLE b1883 birth ref dec qtr 1883 leeds 9b 553
1891 living with parents james and caroline in potternewton yorkshire
1901 " " "

this is the last trace i can find of him :-( my dad says he met him once in the 50s so he must be somewhere on the 1911 and death records. I don't think he married or had children, i've searched and searched. A few J Catchpoles show up in yorkshire area on the summary books but not on the actual pages, not sure why this is???
the 1911 overseas military is NOT him as this person was born in essex :-( there is also a james richard catchpole born at a similar time and is in the military as well but this is not him either. ANY help very much appreciated maybe he is mistranscribed somwhere??

help pleaasseeee i'm losing the plot!
many thanks Helen xxxxxxxxxx

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Sep 2012 19:38

Hello Helen - don't suppose you can get his actual date of birth - would be a big help for death records .....

Mike *

Mike * Report 19 Sep 2012 19:42

??????

Deaths Jun 1918 )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catchpole James - 35- Morpeth 10b 519

Only one that matched agewise but if your dad met him in the 5os ??????

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 19:43

Sorry this is the closest i can get as i can't afford the cert :-(

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Sep 2012 19:44

Mike - I think that one was born in Blyth as per the 1911. Plus, Helen believes her dad met him in the 1950s.

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 19:45

Hi mike this is not him as my dad DEF met him in the 1950s!!

marieCeleste would his DOB be on a parish baptism record? are they online? def living in potternewton when he was born?

many thanks Hx

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 20:00

VERY ODD..... just going back over the births (on ancestry) and found a bap in the west yorkshire non conformists registers.
Ada CATCHPOLE bap may 30 1886 st mathews leeds this is james sister!!
THEN Charles 1882 july 28th address is correct and this is my ggrandad but the parents are listed wrong...... ALSO on the left side of the page is a james catchpole address chapel town which is right but it is crossed out??????? could this be my james?? now i'm really losing the plot!!

Hx

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Sep 2012 20:01

Baptism records sometimes list the date of birth but not always - work a check though

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 20:04

BINGO went to the next page and Dec 2nd 1883 address newton place potternewton parents james and harriet (wrong) no name but this must be james!!!!!

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Sep 2012 20:07

Could James have married twice - to a Caroline and a Harriet? having children with both wives? Ada daughter of Caroline and James, Charles son of harriet and James? There's also an Ethel on there, daughter of Caroline and James.

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 20:17

caroline is on the 1911 with her husband and died in 1943 james snr died in 1928 so i'm guessing not, maybe she just used both names?? the address and job etc are correct. just looking for edith and annie the eldest children. Carolines parentage is dubious the story goes she came from a wealthy family and james was the coachman and they ran away together, until finding this baptism records i could find no truth that james was a coachman only a gardener BUT on Williams 1880 entry it says coachman so maybe harriet is her real name? She was apparently dosowned by her family. OMG it's downton abbey in real life ?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? COOL!

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Sep 2012 21:13

Is it possible that James married Harriet and then ran off with Caroline? If you haven't got birth certifcates for Charles and James then you can't 100% discount the possibility that they had a different mother to the other siblings.

Is this Caroline and James?:

Marriages Jun 1875 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTREE Henry Leeds 9b 740
Catchpole James Leeds 9b 740
Temporal Caroline Leeds 9b 740
WILLIAMS Lillie Leeds 9b 740

I couldn't find a James Catchpole marrying a Harriet. I couldn't find a birth for a Caroline Temporal either although I did find this:

Births Dec 1860 (>99%)
TEMPORAL Harriett Gainsbro 7a 596

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Sep 2012 21:28

What about this death?

Name: James Catchpole
Birth Date: abt 1884
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1966
Age at Death: 82
Registration district: Watford
Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 4b
Page: 318

There is an Andrews newspaper Index Card for this entry too which states:
Catchpole, James Catchpole, late of Heath House, Bushey, Watford, Herts, died at Watford, Herts, on the 2nd August, 1966 (Estate about £160)

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 19 Sep 2012 21:56

sarah i saw that death but have no idea why james would be in herts???
think this is the most likely though as the age and death date seem to fit what i know. trouble is i don't know if he married or had children so i'm not sure the death cert would give me any clues?? i pretty sure all his siblings were dead by then. i think i'll quit while i'm ahead i've got quite a lot of info to add from the non conformist registers which is good!! i'll look in again tomorrow to sse if anything else is found.
many many thanks for your help!!
Helenx

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 18 Mar 2013 18:16

HI all well i ordered the only death cert that fitted the DOB and it didn't help at all :-( last address was a nursing home, occupation unknown, hospital registered death.

death date 2nd Aug 1966 did he leave a will?
can anyone trace him on an electoral role for watford pre 1966?
still no luck for 1911 census or army records :-(
any further help very much appreciated.

many thanks Helenx

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Mar 2013 21:10

http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/
Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1875
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
CATCHPOLE James TEMPORAH Caroline Leeds Registered Building Leeds RB/59/11

Catchpoles rego'ed in Chapeltown subdistrict
Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years:
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
1881 CATCHPOLE Charles Chapeltown Leeds CHAP/19/463
1883 CATCHPOLE James Chapeltown Leeds CHAP/21/40
1886 CATCHPOLE Ada Chapeltown Leeds CHAP/22/251
1888 CATCHPOLE Ethel Chapeltown Leeds CHAP/23/331

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Mar 2013 21:22

1871 Archive Reference:RG10 Piece Number:4793 Folio:93 Page:15
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZG9-P4P