Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anybody advise please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 5 Sep 2012 22:38

I'm trying to find out more about an ancestor who lived in Bristol Somerset . I know from Census he was a policeman and looks like he died in 1952. I'd love to find out about him and what he did in bewtween. I tried messsging the police archive section-but they haven't replied. (Tried twice- 3 weeks apart). Any body know anywhere else I can find anything about him at all.

He was born Wallace David G Sheppard in Exeter devon and married in 1898 (Bristol) to Jessie Ellen Sargent. He had a son called Wallace too. any help appreciated. I believe they may also have taken in an orphaned niece-but have no records anywhere to prove this. If anybody likes a mystery-she was Constance /ConnieSargent born Exeter in 1915-and orphaned in 1920. Her school record said-left the district. Not with Barnardos and no records for the Exeter orphanage apparently for that time-so she just vanishes.-wondered if she went to Jessie and Wallace as no other surviving rellies that I know of.

Janice

Janice Report 5 Sep 2012 22:44

When I looked for the birth of Connie I got this one as the only Devon one. Is this her? MMN Sargent not Connie's?

Name: Constance Parkhouse
Mother's Maiden Name: Sargent
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1915
Registration district: Exeter
Inferred County: Devon
Volume: 5b
Page: 124

patchem

patchem Report 5 Sep 2012 22:49

Is this his son?
Births Sep 1907
SHEPPARD Wallace Keynsham 5c 530

Added:

different spelling:
Births Jun 1899
Shepherd Wallace Charles J Bristol 6a 119

Lynski

Lynski Report 5 Sep 2012 22:49

1911 census, Wallace was a Stableman -

SHEPHERD, Wallace Head Married M 35 1876 Stableman Devon Exeter VIEW
SHEPHERD, Jessie Wife Married13 years F 36 1875 Devon Exeter VIEW
SHEPHERD, Wallace Son M 11 1900 School Somerset Bristol VIEW

RG number: RG14
Piece: 14923
Reference: RG14PN14923 RG78PN903 RD319 SD3 ED39 SN67
Registration District: Bristol
Sub District: Bedminster
Enumeration District: 39
Parish: Bristol
Address: 5 Upper Sydney St Bedminster Bristol
County: Gloucestershire

Original census states 1 child born

Janice

Janice Report 5 Sep 2012 22:51

Is this the marriage of Connie's parents? - on FreeBMD but not showing on Ancestry

Marriages Dec 1906
PARKHOUSE Charles Exeter 5b 219
SARGENT Ellen Exeter 5b 219

Lynski

Lynski Report 5 Sep 2012 22:54

????????

Births Jun 1899 (>99%)
Shepherd Wallace Charles J Bristol 6a 119

patchem

patchem Report 5 Sep 2012 22:58

Presumably this Jessie;
Births Mar 1875
SARGENT Jessie Ellen Exeter 5b 95

??
1881 England Census
Jessia Sargent Age: 6 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Charles Sargent
Mother's Name: Ellen Sargent
Civil parish: Exeter St Mary Steps
County/Island: Devon Country: England
Street Address: Cricklepit
Registration district: Exeter Sub-registration district: Exeter Western
Piece: 2154 Folio: 27 Page Number: 19
Charles Sargent 36
Ellen Sargent 36
Alice Sargent 11
Charles John Sargent 9
Jessia Sargent 6
Ellen Sargent
William H. Wood 19
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 2154; Folio: 27; Page: 19; GSU roll: 1341519.

Janice

Janice Report 5 Sep 2012 23:03

Name: Charles Parkhouse
Age in 1911: 27
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Exeter, Devon
Civil parish: Exeter
County/Island: Devon
Street Address: 3 Summerland Crescent, Exeter
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Exeter
Registration District Number: 271
Sub-registration district: Exeter

William Parkhouse 53
Ann Parkhouse 55
Martin Luther Parkhouse 16
Helen Parkhouse 19
Francis William Parkhouse 7
Charles Parkhouse 27
Ellen Parkhouse 32
Margaret Parkhouse 3
Charles Parkhouse 11/12

patchem

patchem Report 5 Sep 2012 23:08

1891 England Census
Charles Sargent Age: 45 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1846
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen Sargent
Gender: Male Where born: Exeter, Devon, England Civil parish: St Mary Steps
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary Steps
County/Island: Devon Country: England
Registration district: Exeter Sub-registration district: Exeter Western
ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Piece: 1691 Folio: 50 Page Number: 18
Charles Sargent 45
Ellen Sargent 44
Alice Sargent 21
Ellen Sargent 10
Albert Sargent 7
John Burrington 37
Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1691; Folio: 50; Page: 18; GSU roll: 6096801.

patchem

patchem Report 5 Sep 2012 23:11

1901 England Census
Ellen Sargent Age: 20 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation: Inmate (House of Mercy)
Civil parish: Bovey Tracey
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas a Becket
County/Island: Devon
Registration district: Newton Abbot
Sub-registration district: Chudleigh
ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Piece: 2051 Folio: 32 Page Number: 3

??
Deaths Jun 1920
PARKHOUSE Ellen 38 Exeter 5b 83

Possibly Mother died, and Father could not look after her?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Sep 2012 23:19

Name: Wallace C J Shepherd
Birth Date: abt 1899
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1966
Age at Death: 67
Registration district: Bristol
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 7b
Page: 118

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Name: Wallace Charles James Shepherd
Probate Date: 26 Dec 1966
Death Date: 11 Dec 1966
Death Place: Bristol, England
Registry: Bristol

Administration to Ethel Louise.....widow

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 5 Sep 2012 23:32

Yes thanks everyone thats the family-So sorry I seemed tov vanish my Modem keeps cutting out - waitinf for a new one from BT!!!!

Yes Connie is short for constance, Janice- her school record in 1920-Exeter referred to her as Connie. Yes her mum was Ellen/Dad Charles Parkhouse.. As I said she was Orphaned. Her dad died in france in 1917 and her Mum died in 1920 of Spanish flu. There was some family in Exeter-but they appeared not to take her in as school record stated 'left the district' the day her poor Mum died in Exeter hospital. Her sister Margaret stayed locally-she lived her life in Exmouth-and died there-having no children (But she did marry). Her brother charles was in an orphanage-but he didn't know which one-but told family he was in one- he ended up in Birmingham-he was adopted. And poor Connie-well she just vanishes. . Hoping something good happened to her after 1920-but not hopeful!

Poor little girl had lost a sister,dad and mum by the time she was 5-then shipped away somewhere by herself to goodness knows where. I'll probably never know-but someone must have had her as part of their family somewhere.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 5 Sep 2012 23:34

Wallace Charles James-Bristol was the correct son for Wallace and jessie- but I know nothing more about any of them. I wish I could find out whether they took in Connie-but don't know how to find out that? I just hope maybe that the 1921 census will hold a key as Ellen died in 1920. Maybe she'll jump out at me! Only 9 years to wait then!

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 5 Sep 2012 23:46

No ellen was in the house of mercy to 'protect her from herself'. it was a very dodgy area-. full of prostitiutes-we think the doctorwho had looked after her dad (He had had stomach cancer for 9 months) - helped get her there to 'save her' Her dad had died but Mum and sisters were still about. She was placed with a 'respectable' doctors family in 1904- where she quickly became pregnant with my grandad! he was taken on by one of the doctor's patients (They were very good to him-and they had no other children)-Ellen carried on working for the doctor after- so either he was very very kind or there was something fishy!! He was also the doctor that certified Ellens sister Alice's death.

Ellen married Charles Parkhouse the year after my grandad was given/taken away. in 1906. had Margaret in 1901 Charles 1910 Gladys 1912-1914 (Died of Chest infection) Constance in 1915. Charles died of wounds in 1917 in France and Ellen died herself in 1920. her sister Alice Burrington had already died of a heart problem. Her brother Albert died very young-as did Charles another brother. Then her mum (Also Ellen) went ot live in Bristol with Jessie the sister- as did Alice's orphanedson Albert John Burrington. (I have everything about him so please don't waste time looking things up on him). I know there was this connection still open with Bristol-so thats why I thought maybe they had Constance with them-but no evidence at all either way.

Must go no as Hubby about to explode!!!!!!! I've been on her HOW long? ! thanks guys I'll be back tomorrow .

patchem

patchem Report 6 Sep 2012 07:05

Have you got Constance's exact date of birth?

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 15 Oct 2012 16:25

6th May 1915-sorry it took me so long to get back :) She was born and registered in Exeter. thanks to anyone who can help-I know I have tried before a while ago,but with more records and infor available all the time I keep thinking one day we'll find her. :-)

Dawn

Dawn Report 14 Jan 2014 15:05

I too am trying to find orphanage in Exeter where my mother and her siblings were in 1920's, if you come up with anything please let me know, as will I you.

Dawn

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 16 Jan 2014 09:33

Dawn there was St Thomas orphanage in Exeter - and St Olaves -but hardly any records remain :(