Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Freebies on Ancestry.ca

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Jun 2012 14:39

In celebration of Canada Day, discover the ancestors who helped turn a country into a home.

Access to records across some of Ancestry.ca’s most popular Canadian collections – Immigration, Military, Census, and Vital Records – can reveal the birthplace of an ancestor, their military rank, an occupation and even the household income of a family.

From now until July 2nd, discover the nation builders in your family tree with FREE ACCESS to over 40 million select Canadian records.

Ru

Ru Report 28 Jun 2012 18:46

Hello Margee,

Thanks for this. I can never get on with Ancestry and I am looking to trace a man from Toronto, who served in WW2. He was in London with Canadian Intelligence and his name was Edward Colbert. The period would be 1942 to late 1944.

His name was Eddie. Do you think you could help with this?

I logged into Ancestry from NZ (where I live) and now all I seem to get are US or OZ connections. Keep trying to get to anything else and by the time I look into it I am back in USA.

I must not understand their system.

Thanks
Sappho

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jun 2012 03:22

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Sappho, I just don't think their records are as recent as WW2.

Ru

Ru Report 29 Jun 2012 05:07

Thank you Margee, that's encouraging.

Sappho

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2012 06:34

Thanks Margee!

I've found a bit of information.

Irish Gel

Irish Gel Report 29 Jun 2012 09:09

Hi, I tried this and could view snippets but had to sign up for trail..My interest is in Oliver Christopher who was born around 1819 in Chatham Kent. He married a nurse Janett(spelt ?) Wilson and they went to Canada in 1873. Jannett died in Wentworth Ontario Canada in 1890. I do not know what happened to him or Alice (nee Raven) his mother who emigrated with them and his sister Elizabeth. can I ask someone to look them up for me while its free if anyone has a little spare time please. I will happily do any research you need in my area. Thank you .

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Jun 2012 11:41

Doesn't seem to be working for me either. It appears to want you to sign in but when you sign in with your UK details, it just tells you that there is more to see and gives you the cost to upgrade to worldwide access.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jun 2012 12:10

Irish Gel. this site has free Canadian censuses:

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

There's an Oliver Christopher in 1901 in Addington, Ontario, born 1 Jan. 1838, Thought he might be a son of your Oliver (not a common name) but he was born in Ontario and his race is given as French.

This site has the 1891 census where Oliver is widowed and living alone in Hamilton, Ontario:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

Irish Gel

Irish Gel Report 29 Jun 2012 19:20

Margee thank you so much for doing that forme . I really appreciate it..after a heavy day with chicken pox'd grandchildren it cheered me right up ..thanks again :)

Irish Gel

Irish Gel Report 29 Jun 2012 19:23

Checked that info Margee...well done its right. :)

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Jun 2012 05:42

Ancestry's freebies are set to end at midnight Toronto time (i.e., 5am July 3 in UK).

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Aug 2015 07:26

yoo hoo Sappho :-)

I saw your reference to a WWII Canadian Intelligence Officer in another thread just now where you were talking to SylviaInCanada, and I was curious since there are some more records available these days, like the 1921 Canada census (although maybe it was available in 2012, I don't know) ...

Was your Edward by any chance this one?

Marriages Dec 1945
Colbert Edward J Jessup Maidstone 2a 2887
Jessup Una E Colbert Maidstone 2a 2887

with two births

his wife died in Maidstone

Name: Una Ellen Colbert
Birth Date: 7 Nov 1917
Date of Registration: Mar 1994
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Maidstone
Inferred County: Kent
Register Number: B59C
District and Subdistrict: 5691B
Entry Number: 220

as did he

Name: Edward Joseph Colbert
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1919
Date of Registration: Nov 1998
Age at Death: 79
Registration district: Maidstone
Inferred County: Kent
Register Number: B69C
District and Subdistrict: 5691B
Entry Number: 210

but there is no birth in England to match that name or dob

ah, you have your Edward in your tree as born 1916 place unknown (you don't have Una so that may be a bad guess)

with the Canadian 100 year rule for births you may soon be able to search! but I don't see him in the 1921 Canada census

if he did marry in England (possibly like the above, after the dates you have for him) I'm sure you have his marriage certificate for his age and father ... if not I wonder whether it might be worth checking that marriage out