Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Master Mariner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 29 Apr 2012 15:01

I am trying to find some info about a ship that sank in 1873 Scarborough. The ships name was John Mowlem and her master was H. B Fowler. I know there is a monument off Whitby but cannot find any other info. There were I believe four crew members all lost. I am looking for Any info about the crew of the ship .
Jeanette

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Apr 2012 15:09

A google search something like

shipwreck john mowlem

brings up a website called pastscape which has some details

I can't quote the full URL, its too long

Andy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Apr 2012 15:16

Scarborough Maritime heritage centre - historical data and ...
• Mary Stoddart, a Scarborough ship which sunk off Dundalk. The account from the ... • A tragic loss in front of Scarborough Harbour • Ship owners son put in place
www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/?recent.php - Cached

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Apr 2012 15:25

Just skimming through the newspaper archives the John Mowlem was still sailing in 1874 ....

Is there a particular member of the crew that you're looking for?

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 29 Apr 2012 16:18

Looking at the site Andrew spoke about I have found John Mowlem foundered/sank 1874. The trade agreement was signed Sept 1873. One of the crew members had a daughter born Sept 1874 so I am using these dates. Which newspapers have you found John Mowlem in
Jeanette

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Apr 2012 16:38

Jeanette, there are numerous shipping records in various newspapers in the British Newspaper archives. They are mainly records of shipping routes.

Couldn't find one about the sinking, though.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2014 16:06

Have received a pm today from a member related to the Fowlers.

"My name is Geoff, researching my family tree. My g g grandfather was Charles Fowler of the Guernsey brigantine "Bertha". Another Capt Fowler operated out of Guernsey during the same period. He was Simon Fowler captain of BOTH John Mowlem ships and both wrecked on the east coast of England. I am not sure if Simon is related to Charles- don't think so. Charles was born in Pevensey, Sussex in 1827 and Simon in 1761-ish possibly in Swanage, Dorset which is possibly how he met John Mowlen, founder of Mowlem Construction Co.

I have attached a file I have put together today that details the sinking of both SS John Mowlems."

Geoff attached a lot of information which sadly is not relevant at all to me. It would probably be of interest to Jeanette so if you read this Geoff then click on Jeanette's name and send the info to her.

Conversely, Jeanette - if you do check back and see this then click on my name to send me a message and I'll forward Geoff's email address to you.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jun 2014 16:23

I had the same email from Geoff and suggested he begin his own thread