Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Railway Employer Accidents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 1 Mar 2012 08:25

I am trying to find out about an accident my Grandfather had but dont have many exact details. I tried putting his name into the recent new Railway site but nothing came up. The details i have are My Grandad was a Metal Plate Layer and the accident he had was that he stepped on a Live rail and was paralysed. I was born in 1950 and i only rememeber him not being able to walk and confined to bed. I would think this happened in late 1950s. My cousin remembers him walking and he is 5 years older than me. I am not sure exactly where they lived then but would have been Mitcham/Wimbledon.area. I dont know what Railway Company he worked for.. Not sure where to start with this one. Many Thanks Pam

Vera

Vera Report 1 Mar 2012 08:39

Hi Pamela,
What was you grandads name and year of birth please?
Regards Vera

Pamela

Pamela Report 1 Mar 2012 08:41

My Grandad was Stephen Arthur William Cuzner and he was born on 9th January 1889 Thanks Pam

Vera

Vera Report 1 Mar 2012 08:56

Hi Pamela,
Have looked in the UK Railway Employment records ( probable the ones you looked at) no luck sorry.
If you go to the local library/libraries tthey would have newspapers from that time, you might have to scroll through quite a few, but you might find the info., there.

Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 1 Mar 2012 09:07

Just checkng phone books for you...for the area.

edit sorry no luck.

Regards Vera

Pam

Pam Report 1 Mar 2012 09:15

Perhaps somebody with access to the British Newspaper Archive can help you out.

Dea

Dea Report 1 Mar 2012 09:51

Nothing in the London Gazette, the Times, the Guardian or the Observer I am afraid.

Dea x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Mar 2012 10:20

His death certificate should have his last address (which may help with finding which library to contact to see if there are any newspaper reports of the accident):-

Name: CUZNER, Stephen A W
Registration district: Surrey North Eastern
County: Surrey
Year of registration: 1962
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death:73
Volume no: 5G
Page no: 675

Kath. x

jolee

jolee Report 1 Mar 2012 11:07

Hi
I would think by the discription of the accident he worked for London Underground they are the only one who would have had a live rail at ground level at the time, they do have a museum in London perhaps they could help.

Pamela

Pamela Report 1 Mar 2012 11:11

My Grandad lived near me when he died at Armfield Crescent Mitcham before that he lived at Stuarts Place Mitcham Thanks for all your replies. Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 1 Mar 2012 11:16

Also My Dad and his Brother worked all their lives for London Transport so maybe my Grandad worked for London Transport as well Thanks Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Mar 2012 09:48

Continuing search. Does London Transport have records of Employees/Accidents? Thanks Pam

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Mar 2012 10:16

Pam....You may have some success if you can determine which Branch of the RMT (Trade Union) he was a member of ...then try and locate the appropriate HSE Records for that Branch.....There would have been a HSE report made of the incident.....alternatively contact the RMT for direction......

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Mar 2012 12:09

thanks for help and suggestions Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 6 Mar 2014 14:18

I am revising some details of my thread about my Grandfather Stephen Arthur William Cuzner as I continue to find out details of the accident he had when he stepped on a live rail and was paralysed. I have spoken to my cousin and he confirms that Grandad worked for British Rail not London Transport as first thought. I have tried to pinpoint a more accurate time frame but it is proving difficult. My cousin remembers going down to see our Grandad by the railway when he was working and before the accident. My cousin was born in 1945 so would not have expected this before 1952 due to my cousin only being 7 at that time. As my Grandad would have reached the age of 65 by 1956 would this have been the age a railway employer would have retired. This puts an approx. time frame for the accident between 1952-1956 My cousin also thinks the accident happened at Mitcham Junction (Mitcham Surrey) If anyone has any more suggestions on to how to find out the details I would be most grateful. Thank You Pam

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Mar 2014 21:00

You could try this site....

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventlisting.php

Pamela

Pamela Report 10 Mar 2014 13:52

tried some railway sites but no luck thanks pam

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2014 15:21

Hi Pamela

Have you tried : blacksheepindex.co.uk - I don't know if it will cover the period you are after.

Local papers for Mitcham & Wimbledon will be your best bet - try
www.merton.gov.uk/libraries/heritagecentre.asp

Pamela

Pamela Report 11 Mar 2014 15:08

will try the local Library thanks Pam