Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Children of Arthur Gillespie & Margaret Douglas.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

genichild

genichild Report 15 Feb 2012 11:43

My aunt Margaret Jane Douglas married Arthur Neil Gillespie in Stirling Scotland on 16 October 1914. He was 22 and she was 20. Both gave Falkirk addresses. He was a pte. in the 10th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. He was killed in action in France on 15 October 1915. A cousin says that Arthur & Maggie had 2 children! Was one born before Arthur went to France, was Maggie pregnant when he went to war?There were 7Gillespie births in Falkirk in 1915:- David; Janet Westwater; Jessie Muir; John; Mary Cunningham; Peter Johnston; William.My cousin thinks that the children were adopted or that a family member raised them. Maggie later married George Jamieson. Any info. would be much appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Feb 2012 11:53

Jean

It might help if you put "Scotland" in your title so it attracts someone with access to Scotlandspeople.

You have also added two threads on this same family. It would be better to delete one of them.

Kath. x

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Feb 2012 11:55

How sad. Arthur's service records are on Ancestry. It says:Children:David Gillespie born March 17 1915 Dec'd 1917.

Maureen

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Feb 2012 12:08

Jean there is a letter from Margaret on his records saying she has been married for a second time and would be very gratefull for any thing belonging to her deceased husband.

Her address on the letter is 230 East Wallace St Falkirk and her name is Margaret Jamieson.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Feb 2012 12:48

Oh! Good, Mel! I think it's Jamieson and 230 Wallace Street,though?

Maureen :-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Feb 2012 12:59

You could be right Maureen as it is very faint.

Have to get lunch for the hungry so it will be a bit later now!

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Feb 2012 13:05

I'm still working on the breakfast dishes. :-\

Maureen

genichild

genichild Report 15 Feb 2012 22:46

I haven't worked out how to reply to each of you individually,so I hope my thanks will not be diminished by being divided by 3.
KATH, thank you for responding within 10mins.I use Scotlandspeople a lot, just buying credits. I find it very good.The limit of 50 characters for the title meant that I couldn't include "Scotland".
MAUREEN,Thank you for the info,yes it was sad to hear Arthur had been killed by a mine explosion and that his son David had died in1917. Then you and MEL managed to decipher much of Maggie's letter.

genichild

genichild Report 24 Feb 2012 13:48

MEL,Thank you for all your help. Now I know that Arthur was not sent to France until 10th May 1915 so maybe he held his son David or at least knew of his birth. I Hope so.David died 10 January 1917 in Grangemouth of Whooping Cough. Maggie is Mrs Jamieson & George Jamieson signs as stepfather,but I still cannot find their marriage!
P.S. I also now know that Arthur was short ( a bit less than 5ft. 4ins) with a pale complexion, brown eyes and dark brown hair, so now he is a person not just a statistic.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 24 Feb 2012 14:01

Have you eliminated this marriage please?

1916 JAMIESON GEORGE GILLESPIE MAGGIE STIRLING /STIRLING 490/00 0114

EDIT

No, I see you haven't eliminated it as that marriage is between George Jamieson and Maggie Douglas or Gillespie, widow.............

Maggie's father is Hugh and mother Jane ms (looks like) Mc Master. Maggie is 22 years old and her address is 5 Mill Land, Falkirk.

Married 28th September 1916

GILLESPIE, ARTHUR N.
Service No:S/5944
Date of Death:15/10/1915
Regiment/Service:Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
10th Bn.
Panel Reference Panel 42 and 44.
Memorial YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
Additional Information:
Son of David and Agnes Gillespie, of 16, Boyd St., Falkirk; husband of Maggie Douglas Jamieson (formerly Gillespie), of 220, Wallace St., Grahamston, Falkirk.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 25 Feb 2012 09:43

Jean I am so glad what I sent you helped to get to know about Arthur.

I can't look up scotish marriage but I think Rootgatherer has posted it.

Thanks rootgatherer. :-D

genichild

genichild Report 25 Feb 2012 17:54

Yes, thank you rootgatherer, I guessed that the problem was that the Margaret Jane M Douglas who married Arthur Gillespie had become" Maggie Gillespie",even on official documents, or even Maggie Douglas or Gillespie!!
It certainly is the correct marriage.Maggie was brave to marry another soldier. George Jamieson was Pte.5796 10th.Batt Black Watch at the time of their marriage and was temporarily discharged. What does that mean, was he wounded or shell-shocked? I know he survived the War and they had children. It would be so sad if Maggie had been widowed twice and lost her only child,
Thank you also for the details of Arthur Gillespie's name on the Ypres(Menin Gate) Memorial.

CraigFFC1876

CraigFFC1876 Report 5 Nov 2014 20:18

HI
we came across this post by complete accident
my mother was telling my kids about my granddads brother Arthur who was killed in action during WW1
we typed his name into google and got this post
Arthur Gillespie was my granddads brother (Thomas Gillespie)
my uncle Arthur who died last year was named after him
after his death his wallet was returned to his mother along with a penny which was given to the families of men killed in action
my mother still has his wallet which is in the family bible and the penny was given to my uncle Arthur which was then handed on to his so n in south Africa
was good to come across your post as we knew he was married but did not realise he had children

craig hastings

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Nov 2014 21:17

Hastings,

genichild may not see your posting as hers was 2009,but a possible a contact can be made by clicking on her name and sening a direct message,she will get notice as long as the email address in 2009 hasnt changed,

CraigFFC1876

CraigFFC1876 Report 6 Nov 2014 09:11

Thanks Kay I will do that