Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

simon Gabriel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 5 Aug 2011 11:38

Hi I am trying to find information on Simon Gabriel from Mauritius. Came to Australia approx 1886. He married and had three children then remarried 16-2-1892 and had a further 7 children one of these being my grandmother Amelia Hilda. I was hoping to find some conections

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Aug 2011 04:28

What an interesting fellow! Sounds like Simon was the first recorded case of what we now know is vitiligo (an incurable skin disorder caused by depigmentation). :-)

From NLA Trove newspaper site:

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Tuesday 22 December 1896
AN EXTRAORDINARY METAMORPHOSIS.
There is now on view at 223, Rundle-street, opposite the Tavistock Hotel, Simon Gabriel, a native of Mauritius, described as the most wonderful man in the world, who has undergone a complete change of color from black in white, this being the only case on record known to the medical or scientific profession. This is a genuine case, authenticated by certficates from leading medical, profusionsts, and mercantile gentlemen in Adelaide where the wonderful change took place. Any of our readers on reference to our issue of Tuesday, November 10, 1895, will find the occurrence mentioned in the news of the day.

The Register (Adelaide), Saturday 23 May 1903
'VVHITE IS BLACK-AND VICE VERSA'
About eight years ago, The Register published particulars regarding a remarkable case of a black man named Simon Gabriel, who gradually turned white. The subject of this wonderful metamorphosis is now employed in the Book Arcade, Melbourne, and the later history of his case is given incidentally by an interesting pamphlet, just issued, by Mr. E. W. Cole, proprietor of that establishment, under the title of 'The Cause of Colour in Mankind.' The facts of the matter, as previously recited, were that Mr. Gabriel, who was born in Mauritius in 1855, settled in South Australia in 1886, and lived here 11 years. In 1889 he was appointed head cook of the Adelaide Hospital, and prior to going to Mildura in 1891 he was engaged as chef in several of the leading hotels and clubs in this city. The first indication of a change in the colour of his skin he noticed in Adelaide in 1887, when a large white spot the size of a penny appeared on his left temple. Five years later the whole surface of his body was diversified with various colours and shades of colour, from chocolate to copper, and from brass to yellow, until ultimately he became a white man. He was married to a young woman who was a native of Lyndoch Valley, near to Gawler, and of their seven children one was born when the father's skin was still dark, another when it was changing colour, and five since he has been white. According to a picture of the family which is given in the publication named, all of these children are of a much darker shade than the father. The facts of the case are authenticated by such authorities as Sir John Cockburn, Professor Watson, Professor Stirling, and various other gentlemen connected with the Adelaide Hospital. So complete was the change in Mr. Gabriel's skin that, though Mr. Cole had him specially inspected by 200 visitors, none of them guessed that he had ever been of Ethiopian hue. At the end of the little brochure are printed two photographs taken in March last for the purpose of showing that Mr. Gabriel's, original colour is gradually com ing back again. The writer adds with some pathos— "He says he would like to turn colour again to be in sympathy with his coloured relatives and friends, while he would like to remain a white man to avoid the white people's prejudice against colour."

You can order a pdf copy of 'A white Australia impossible : cause of colour in mankind, Part 2' by E. W. Cole, from the National Library of Australia for $16.50 thru Copies Direct. As it is now out of copyright you can get the whole thing.

See catalogue.nla.gov.au

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Aug 2011 04:36

His mother's death:

The Argus, Friday 24 March 1899
GABRIEL.—On the 25th March, 1898, at Port Louis, Mauritius, Marie Gabriel, dearly beloved mother of Simon Gabriel, the white-black man, aged 70.
[yes this death notice was placed a year after her death]

Is this his death?

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Tuesday 30 June 1908
GABRIEL.-On the 22nd June, at No. 96, Don street, Port Melbourne, Simon Andon, the beloved husband of Matilda Gabriel. Resting in the Lord.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Aug 2011 04:41

Assuming Amelia was known as Millie?

The Argus (Melbourne), Monday 1 February 1943
GABRIEL. -On January 30, at Melbourne, Matilda, relict of the late Simon Frank, dearly loved mother of Millie (Mrs. J. Lilley), Dorothy (Mrs. Philpott), Carl, Bryan, Rita (Mrs. Townsend), Ivy (Mrs. Schultz), and Edith, in her 75th year.
-Peacefully sleeping. (Floral tributes to R. McKenzie's chapel, South Melbourne.)

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Thursday 4 February 1943
GABRIEL. Matilda.—On Jan. 30, at Royal Melbourne Hospital, dearly loved mother of Ivy and mother-in-law of Henry Schultz, aged 74 years. Peacefully at rest.
GABRIEL. Matilda.—On Jan. 30, at Royal Melbourne Hospital, loved sister of Minnie Bruggemann.

Assume you have bdms for chidlren?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Aug 2011 05:02

Cemetery SPRINGVALE BOTANICAL CEMETERY
Given Names SIMON A
Surname GABRIEL
Religion NONE
Date of Service 25/06/1908
Burial Type BURIED
Location Details CHURCH OF ENGLAND, MONUMENTAL, COMPARTMENT A SECTION 9 GRAVE 24
Public Grave Y/N N
Tenure Date IN PERPETUITY - FOR ALL TIME

Cemetery SPRINGVALE BOTANICAL CEMETERY
Given Names MATILDA
Surname GABRIEL
Religion NONE
Date of Service 2/02/1943
Burial Type BURIED
Location Details CHURCH OF ENGLAND, MONUMENTAL, COMPARTMENT A SECTION 9 GRAVE 24
Public Grave Y/N N
Tenure Date IN PERPETUITY - FOR ALL TIME

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 7 Aug 2011 08:36

nudge

Julie

Julie Report 7 Aug 2011 08:55

Thankyou Cherilyn for this information as I had no idea of their burial sites. My father never spoke of his family alot but I do remember visiting some of them sadly Dad passed away without us finding out alot on Simon. Thanks again Julie :-)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 7 Aug 2011 08:58

My pleasure.

Just realised, your grandmother was Millie Lilley! :-D

Julie

Julie Report 7 Aug 2011 09:14

Yes my dad was Ernest Jeffs. I think Amelia married 3 times the last being to J Lilley and they had no children.

Julie

Julie Report 7 Aug 2011 09:44

Was wondering if you could help me with any of these people they are the names I have for Simon Gabriel's first three children but do not know his wife's name. Alice Maud Mary -1879, Grace Florence Ann -1881, Alfred Ernest -1885. :-)

COX

COX Report 6 Aug 2013 06:29

Hi Julie
My wife was Debby Milborn, her late mother was Marlene Dorothy Maie (nee Willis) her mother was Dorothy (Mrs Philpott) who was a daughter of Simon Gabriel.

Have you seen the Coles Picture Book story on Simon Gabriel with photographs of him both black and then white.

what is your connection to him
cheers
Cyril Cox :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2013 10:19

Cyril

Julie posted in 2011............

If you think she may still have the same e-mail, click on her name to try to make contact. Delete GR's auto message, and put in your own.

GR will attempt to notify her...............