Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sloan/Le Grice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 28 Jul 2011 13:32

I would like to find any relatives from my Sloan Family who would have married into the Le Grice Cosmetics Family and lived in Toronto, or indeed any who lived in Boston. These Sloans were born 1850'sto 1878 in Portadown/Belfast, Ireland and the family were Joshua, William,Sarah, John, James, Thomasina, Eliza Jane and my grandfather Samuel, last one born 1878. Any info would be wonderful many thanks

Flick

Flick Report 28 Jul 2011 13:34

Look in search trees as a first step

Also, it would be a good idea to add location info to your title

Celticqueen

Celticqueen Report 28 Jul 2011 20:25

Hi Ruth

Found this family on 1901 Ireland Census ???

Residents of a house 6 in Union Street (Portadown Urban, Armagh)

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head

Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Sloan Joshua 56 Male Head of Family Methodist Co Armagh Butcher Read and write - Married -
Sloan Elizabeth 42 Female Wife Methodist Co Down Weaver Read only - Married -
Sloan Susanna 18 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Winder Read and write - Not Married -
Sloan Alexander 16 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Labourer Read and write - Not Married -
Sloan William Jno 14 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Labourer Read and write - Not Married -
Sloan Thomesena 12 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Sloan James Hnry 10 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Sloan Mary Jane 8 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
Sloan Joshna 6 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
Sloan David 4 Male Son Methodist - - Cannot read - - -

Suzanne :)

Celticqueen

Celticqueen Report 28 Jul 2011 20:37

Ruth

Family in 1911 Irish Census

Residents of a house 23 in George's Street (Lurgan Urban, Armagh)

Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head

Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status

Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Sloan Joshua 67 Male Head of Family Methodist Co Armagh Butcher Read and write English Married - 30 10 6
Sloan Elizabeth 52 Female Wife Methodist Co Down House Keeper Read not write English Married - 30 10 6
Sloan Susanna 30 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Winder Read and write English Single - - - -
Sloan James Henry 18 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Weaver Read and write English Single - - - -
Sloan Mary Jane 15 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Landery Maid Read and write English Single - - - -
Sloan Joshua 14 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write English Single - - - -
Sloan David 12 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write English Single - - - -
Sloan Elizabeth 8 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read not write English Single - - - -
McKerr Solomon 45 Male Boarder Church of Ireland Co Armagh Labourer Read only English Married - - - -

Joshua & Elizabeth Sloan married 30 years
Children Born - 10
Children Living - 6

Suzanne:)

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Ruth

Ruth Report 29 Jul 2011 17:31

Hi there, Flick and Suzanne,

Thank you so much for this info, sorry, but I already have it. I am desperate to find my American Sloan relatives and the only info I have is that some?/one? of them married into the Le Grice family in USA?/Canada? and some of my relatives attended the wedding of a male Le Grice, London circa 1940's so I would imagine this must have been a nephew. Am waiting for all the male Le Grice marriage Certs. in London at that time, there were only 2.
Again, many thanks Ruth

I do appreciate all the trouble you have gone to in the above you sent me, :-) :-) :-)

Tom

Tom Report 1 Jun 2014 22:13

Hi Ruth not sure if you got mu mail I am the grand son of William and great graded son of Joshua did you find the info you wanted which sloans went to America be good to catch up

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Jun 2014 00:20

Hi Tom and welcome to GR

Did you send Ruth a private message via GR?

If so, you can check if she has read it by looking in your Sent Messages box. If there is still an envelope icon next to it, she hasn't.

As 3 years have passed since this Ruth created this thread, she could have changed her registered email address, lost interest in FH and blocked all emails from GR, or no longer be in a position to reply.

Fingers crossed that she is only taking a break away from her computer and that you will eventually get a reply